Full or Part Leather Seats and sagging?

mjcourtney

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of trading in my 2013 1.4 S-line Sportback for a new model with the COD engine and S-tronic. The Mrs is quite keen on upgrading to full leather seats, as opposed to the part-leather that comes standard on the S-line.

My concern is that the side / base seat bolster on the drivers side is already sagging on my car after less than two years. From other similar aged S-lines i've seen this seems common. Would a full leather seat suffer from this in other places? I'm a bit worried the seats will look 'tired' more quickly than part-leather ones. Interested to hear from anyone who's had the full leather seats for a few years!

Ahh the full leather seat saggy bottom issue. I know it was a problem on a lot of 8L 8P & TTs.

On the 8V the centre sections of the full leather are alcantara which as a covering is supposed to be less prone to sagging. The side bolsters are I think still standard leather though so would have the same problem (though mine are ok so unsure what caused yours to age).

This issue is one of the reasons I was happy to stay with half leather.

Is the alcantara not a separate option? According to the configurator the full leather doesn't have any alcantara.

Having read the brochure (as opposed to just the configurator), it appears the Sport Leather seats have a mixture of Leather and alacantata. The S-line leather seats however are all leather.

"Sports seats in Alcantara/leather. Seat centre sections and door trim inserts in Alcantara. Head restraints and seat side bolsters in leather and front centre armrest in synthetic leather. Only in combination with Storage and luggage package (QE1)"

Vs

"S-line: Fine Nappa leather with S line embossing on the front seats. Seat centre sections, seat side bolsters, head restraints and front centre armrest in Fine Nappa leather. Upper shoulder sections are finished in velvet and the door trim inserts in synthetic leather. Contrasting silver stitching on the upholstery, steering wheel and gear knob gaiter."

I'm not sure I like the look of alacantara, but then if no one else has had issues with the thigh bolster sagging I could stick with the leather. I need to go inspect a few peoples thigh bolsters

My current car (not an Audi) is 13 years old and has full leather seats. The seat bottom does pucker after a few years and the side bolsters have a few scuffs. However on previous cars I found cloth seats eventually start looking dirty and worn even with regular shampooing and protection. The leather is just easier to keep clean. Dirt and thinning cloth looks worse to me than aged leather.

Actually the full leather seats on the S-Line have upper shoulder sections in "velvet".

Quite why I have no idea and it is not apparent until you look closely or read the brochure. I haven't seen any sagging in the first 5 months and I've yet to clean them - bit worried about how to clean the velvet sections though. IMO I think they look nicer than well used Alcantara but maybe the latter is better?

I have the fine nappa leather in my S-Line and it is very nice - do prefer it to the standard option and alcantara choices.

No sagging but it does seem normal to get some creases on the edges of the seat bases (although this seems to be the case with all the types of S-Line seats).

With the heated seats option, they get warm within 1 minute of starting. Also - mono-pur does compliment it nicely too.

On my old car I had full leather seats and sagging was always in the back of my mind. I bought Dr Leather conditioning wipes. They were nothing short of amazing! They tighten the leather, whilst cleaning and restores the smell of leather, even after 3 years of owning the car. Once a month if you wiped the seats down there were no problems at all

I haven't added mono-pur.... yet.

Yeah I do wonder whether some sort of leather conditioner would help. Just for reference, I've taken some pics of the drivers seat on my current car. The passenger side is just starting to show the same creases although not as pronounced. And before anyone says it..neither me or the mrs are overly large! ;)

S line seats1

S line seats2

Wow - thats some major creasing. My last A3 was half leather and fewer creases than that after 11 years.

Do either of you sit 'on' the bolster whilst getting in or out, or sort of float over it?

Not that i'm aware of. Two colleagues both have A3s from 2013 and they have near enough identical creases on the seats. Very odd.

Too early to tell properly but after almost 3,000 miles they still look like new. Ultimately I'd choose whatever you prefer the look / feel off. Leather is a natural material so will alter after time, if that's a good or bad thing - well that's up for debate.