Full Lock - "Clunk" on Facelift

RS5 JON

Reaction score
Hi folks, here's my question/problem
I reverse out the driveway in the morning, this requires a full lock on steering, when at full lock the wheels clunk, its as if a bush or something is notching, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I took the car into Audi, they kept the car overnight, as it only seems to it when the car has been parked for a while, low and behold, Audi couldn't find anything up with it, ok I thought and drove off, and it did it again. Back in I went, Audi tech came out and I tried again, nothing. I explained to the tech what my issue was, ah he said, they all do that it's something to do with the control arms and suspension settling. Aye right!!! :audibash:
Told him I have never heard of this but will be asking the question to other A5 owners, so here I am.
Any info or experiences of this would be greatful, my cars still under warranty, so want it fixed.

JG

Do you have a quattro? It doesn't say so in your sig. but if you do it's likely to be a normal 'feature' of quattro. If not, or it's something new, then it might be an issue.

Reactions: RS5 JON
Hi Shrek5, no my car isn't a Quattro, but I've had a couple of replies from the same post on A5-OC and the guys have the same issue, I'll check back with them re if they have Quattro's or not. If they have it's back to Audi dealer for me.
Cheers
JG

I have an 08 S5 v8 and when I reverse on full lock and get a similar judder, only does it in reverse really and when I asked my mechanic (he worked for audi for years) he also said most A5's do this??

Anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers marshadee, seems to be normal, but not normal if you know what I mean, still say it's a bit crap from Audi to sell their cars with this, maybe it's a free option!!! :audibash:
JG

yeah your right mate, when you buy an Audi you dont really expect crap like this but I suppose its not the end of the world.

Still love the car though ;-)

+1 on loving the car mate, :kissmyrings:
Think I'll try a avoid full lock though, so it doesn't annoy me so much, just glad to know I'm not the only one that gets this. :)
JG

I've asked around the forums re this being a problem on both FWD & Quattro's, the answer is yes, and apparently Toyota's do it too.
I'm so glad that Audi are catching up with Toyota!!!! :audibash:
JG

I'll check mine in the morning, but I had a clunk like noise earlier today going out of a junction on full lock. With the amount of camber that the inner wheel attains on full lock I reckon it could just be normal as it straightens up?

I tried the tight reverse on full lock both ways this morning and nothing, no noise, clunk or other...

My B8 A4 has a small clunk
Say for example if you were doing a quick left, right as you go left then turn right at that moment between the swap from left to right there is a small clunk

I put it into the garage and they said everything was tight just put it down to the universal joint

Thanks for the replies, seems to be a bit of a mixed response both on here and A5-OC.
Audi have check everything to do with steering and suspension, and all is well, so looks like I'll be living with it, good thing is the car is still under warranty, so if anything goes they will be fixing it for free. ;)
JG

Reactions: Shrek5