Fueling conundrum

OrkneyS3

Reaction score
Hi folks, thinking about going to stage 2+ with the car, only problem is that I want to run on 99 Ron fuel but we only get 95 here, I looked into additives but from what I've been reading there not worth the bottle they come in. I was thinking about water meth injection as a solution was just wondering if it was viable and how straight forward an install it is, I'm fairly handy with a spanner so fitting the tank and pump doesn't phase me it's the plumbing and wiring I'm a bit more hesitant about, anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

If you went stage 2+ with a bespoke adjusted map, then 95 Ron fuel is no issue as the car would be adjusted for it. However have a word with the people that are going to map your car and ask them. Why spend more money when you may just get what you need? Its always worth that chat. My S3 was on the rollers at Shark HQ and the map adjusted. Surely anyone of the good tuners could do this for you with 95 Ron in the tank?

Reactions: OrkneyS3
Hi folks, thinking about going to stage 2+ with the car, only problem is that I want to run on 99 Ron fuel but we only get 95 here, I looked into additives but from what I've been reading there not worth the bottle they come in. I was thinking about water meth injection as a solution was just wondering if it was viable and how straight forward an install it is, I'm fairly handy with a spanner so fitting the tank and pump doesn't phase me it's the plumbing and wiring I'm a bit more hesitant about, anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

WMI is a relatively easy way of both reducing intake and cylinder temps,and upping the effective RON.

There are a number of kits around,and whilst the Aquamist is probably the best overall,it's complex,and requires some mapping.

I have an AEM kit in mine,and whilst you do need a boost pressure feed,plus power lines,it's not terribly difficult to install,but you will need a place to feed the injector into your intake piping.

I have a BSH inlet pipe which is plumbed for that,but that in turn means a bit more fiddling around to fit.

Programming it is very simple.....set it to come in at around 8psi,and to reach peak flow at peak boost,and you will also need to decide which of the injectors to use,as each has a different flow rate.
At Stg2+,you'd be looking at the small injector probably,as very high flow rates may cause ignition issues on lower powered cars.

Be sure to use 50/50 water methanol mix,or you won't get the RON benefit,and more than 50% meth tends to lose some of the cooling benefits of water.

So the most difficult part would be wiring and getting the nozzle into the intake, do you have any pictures of you're install Alex?

RPB that is an option, but if I get fed up at stage 2+ and wanted more then the water mist would be already there.

I'm not sure what map the car currently has as I bought it as is with full Milltek and dbilas cai. It felt very rapid compared to my stage 1.5 8l s3, but recently it's been feeling sluggish and isn't as urgent with overtaking, when I bought it I ran it on v power nitro for the trip home from Aberdeen, or rather my other half did as she wasn't insured on my old s3, the only time it's had 95 without an additive or v power nitro was when I had to fill up at wick tesco on a journey south to Aberdeen. Ever since then it's felt sluggish to the point that my missus was complaining that it didn't feel as fast when overtaking, I scanned it with vcds and found nothing, any ideas guys? It's run on v power nitro atm as I spend most of my leave in Aberdeen but that will change next yr when she finishes uni and we move up full time.

Get APR software flashed by Ecotune in Glasgow, you can switch on the fly using the cruise control stalk for different fuel along with other things :)

Also, if you move to them from another tuner they do it half price at £300 and further map upgrades are free from then on in.

APR Audi/VW/Seat 230-272hp 2.0T FSI - APR ECU Upgrade

Hmm that's a distinct possibility muzza will be down Glasgow way when I'm on leave next so might book something in, the switchable map sounds like an awesome plan.

They have a cracking 4WD rolling road there too and I think you get a free power run before and after making the switch.

Where abouts in Glasgow are they, I know the city fairly well lived there for 10 years lol

Hillington Industrial Est made just across the other side of the M8 from Breahead. Also right next to millers oils HQ :)

On the Revo map the fueling can be adjusted for different types of RON

Reactions: Revo Steve-W