Fuel type

Juan8v

Reaction score
What is everone using in their 8V? The gas cap says 87 reg, but i thought all turbo cars should be on premium? Also all premium gas in my area is 93 octane. is that okay to put in a 1.8t?

In the US your ratings scale will be MON as opposed to RON, but they measure different things.

The 8V 1.8T EA888 Gen 3 engine doesn’t advance the timing, unlike the S3 so 87 MON (roughly equivalent to 95 RON regular) is fine. That said, I always used super unleaded 97-99 RON in my 1.8 (equivalent to your 93 MON premium) but that was my choice.

Reactions: Juan8v
In the US your ratings scale will be MON as opposed to RON, but they measure different things.

The 8V 1.8T EA888 Gen 3 engine doesn’t advance the timing, unlike the S3 so 87 MON (roughly equivalent to 95 RON regular) is fine. That said, I always used super unleaded 97-99 RON in my 1.8 (equivalent to your 93 MON premium) but that was my choice.
Okay cool. yeah I think I will be using 93 from now on just for the cars long term health. Thanks for your response!

@Juan8v - out of curiosity, whats the situation in USA with gasoline having bioethanol in it? I ask as EU and UK are moving from 5% bioethanol to 10% in ‘regular’. The engines and fuel pipes/ pumps over here are designed to cope with it but super/premium is remaining 5% bioethanol.