Fuel Tank

666markyboy

Reaction score
How many litres does a B6 Avant tank hold ?? from brim full to zero miles on the miles left ? i'm aiming to get 700 miles out of a full tank of fuel on my 1.9 Tdi Avant Quattro... won't know if i've managed it yet for a couple more days but it's looking good and was wondering what MPG that would work out at ,,,, in hindsight i should have ran it to zero miles and then checked how much fuel i pumped in but didn't think at the time

Most ive got on my avant, non quattro tho, is about 64 litres. Its less for the quattro.

I'd be amazed if you got 700 miles to a full tank tho in a quattro avant.

You will not get 700 out of a tank on a quattro.....

Best I have achieved is about 550 and that was almost all on the motorway with the cruise on.....

The quattro ha a smaller tank due to the 4WD system, and even on that basis I don't know any of my friends who have non-quattro that get much more than 600 out of a tank....

If I remember correctly, the tank is 65 litres and I get 40mpg around town and 45mpg on the motorway, I expect these figures to go up by about 5mpg when I get it chipped next weekend....

I think the tanks are 70litres (15.4gal) for non-quattro and 66litres (14.5gal) for your quattro...

700miles is definitely possible on a non-quattro: I have a "driving Miss Daisy" friend who gets that on a regular basis.

I think that if you're trying for that in multiple trips, in a quattro, you're being pretty optimistic: 66litres = 14.5gal, so 700 miles would be >48mpg average... I'm sure it's possible, especially if your trips are fairly steady 50-60mph cruises... but maybe not the best idea to run in until it is EMPTY (i.e. you need to re-bleed the fuel lines, etc)...

non-quattro's have 15.4gal as a starter.... and less resistance: so they only need to average 45.5mpg to get 700miles on a tank if they're running it to empty....

Hmmm well i'm on 500 miles done and still showing approx 200 miles left in tank... i've only been using it for my commute which is about 95% motorway which i've been sticking to 60 mph in 6th gear and really trying to nurse it .... i know for sure i'm going to get well over 600 miles but if i can break 700 remains to be seen

What you need to remember as well is that while the tank holds 66 litres, your DIS will show zero with about a gallon left to stop you running the system dry as this causes all manner of issues with getting the fuel system back up to pressure....

My 2.5q Avant holds 66 allegedly. I've run the DTE to -20 and still only put 61 litres in though.

the owners manual state 66 ltrs for all models......700miles wow mine does around 600-625 average drives 20mile comute up the A5..fwd

ive seen over 800 to a tank! i was driving like miss daisy on a huge trip though doing 55mph all the way there and back all motorway

mines none quattro 100bhp which makes a bit of difference

well i don't think i'm gonna make 700 miles this time around.... got 620 on the clock and 50 left on the DIS so it will be good considering i've not tried my hardest and made a couple of none economical journeys.... pretty sure i could break 700 though with a quality diesel and sticking purely to my work comute

On my current run though history shows that tomorrows journey to work will see the DIS initially dip to around 30 miles left whilst the engines cold and i'm driving towards the motorway but then once settled on the motorway it will probably bounce back up to around 60 miles left and i'm guessing after my 40 mile trip,,, once at work i'll have 30 miles left on the DIS.... question is then do i risk a 40 mile trip home again without putting any fuel in.... like i said i've never took it into minus figs on the DIS ( didn't know you could ) i'll post my readings once i get to work tomorrow and you guys can decide if i risk it or not :)

Yes take the risk there's usually around 20 miles after the 0

Around town I usually get around 600 miles to a tank the furthest it goes in one run is about 10 miles!

don't take the risk

fill it up and compare miles to fill - that'll tell you if you could go 700 without breaking down or sucking the clag up into your injectors, etc

one thing i dont think's been mentioned is gearing and acccuracy of the speedo / milometer

my car used to underread by nearly 10% speed wise (and presumably mileage) it now reads less than 5% out on its 18's. Given that 10% of 700 miles is pretty significant we're probably not able to compare like for like anyhow.

this morning my quattro read 15 miles left and took 56.3 litres (66 to 'max', non-quattro's have bigger tanks as above)

And

.... like i said i've never took it into minus figs on the DIS ( didn't know you could ) i'll post my readings once i get to work tomorrow and you guys can decide if i risk it or not :)

It was an anxious time, and not one I wish to repeat....! I can't remember if the DIS read minus figures, or if bottomed out at zero and I used the trip to measure the miles.

Have you tried Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG for easy to use and share mpg recordings?

The dis doesn't go to minus it just goes to 0 but still has some left in the tank how much is anyone's guess but it won't stop dead at 0 it will still go for a good distance

I think Archemist is probably right it's not worth risking anything silly,, after all it's just a bit of fun..... i will get 700 though one day :)

Well 665 miles done this morning and 20 miles left on the DIS but with a 40 mile trip home i'm gonna put some fuel in on the way home..... pretty chuffed with those figs though