Fuel tank/warning/guage oddness

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ive noticed over the last few weeks/months that the tank seems to be getting less fuel in it, and each time we fill the car we dont get quite as far on the tank, but the calculated fuel economy is still normal.

When we brim the tank the guage doesnt quite touch the top either.

When we first baught it we'd regularly run it until the computer said say 15-20miles left, fill it and it would take about 56-57 litres maybe 58 if we ran it really low. Now though, we run it down to the same point, and it'll only take 48-50 litres.

So either the tank isnt actually filling to the brim any more, or the guage is underreading making it think theres no fuel left when theres still over a gallon in the tank. Bar ignoring the trip computer and continuing to drive until she actually cuts out, i'm not sure how to diagnose this oddity

Is there any known issues with the senders?

Yes there is a common problem of having faulty fuel senders...however your issue sounds slightly different, the main issue that people have is erratic readings, one minute it says there is fuel, the other it says there isnt, its a pretty easy fix if you know how (as always)

Ignore the calculated fuel economy and go off your Odometer reading. That will be far more accurate if you're used to doing the same journeys.

You can recalibrate the DIS, i'll see if I can dig out how.