Fuel tank capacity

Nicksluck

Reaction score
The DIS showed only 5 mile range left so went to tesco to fill up. Now before with my A4, when the range got to zero I would fill up to the brim and find that there was still about 4 litres left in the tank. With my A3 I got 51.5 litres in before it auto shut off and then squeezed another half litre in. 52 litres in a 50 litre tank ??? Did I actually have any reserve or are Tescos diddling us on measurement ?

Reactions: Feemy
Quattro cars have 55l tanks
FWD cars have 50l tanks

The A3/S3 does have a 1 gallon reserve that the fuel computer does not take into account, all Audi cars do.

If you're running a Fwd A3, then yes, I suspect that specific pump needs a calibration and you have been 'diddled'

You can of course get more into a 50/55 litre fuel tank by going past the cut off and filling up the expansion tank and lines but I dont think this is the case here as yours clicked post 50l.

Reactions: Nikon
The tank is too small IMO.

It's an A3 to be fair, a relatively small car just slightly bigger than an A1.

50/55l is probably just about right for a car this size.

A4/A5 up another 10litres
A6/A7/A8 another 10 litres further.

You wouldn't want a 70l tank in an A3, psychological but people would be ****** having to spend £100 filling the thing up.

Reactions: Reggieboy71 and veeeight
With Tesco club card points I'm filling up my tank just now from 1/8 left to brimmed for 34-36 quid. 545 miles from last tank, mostly town/ex-urban driving. DIC presently showing 50.9 average mpg over 1700 miles.

I have added 51 litres a few times from different petrol stations so I think that's what the tank + filler neck holds.

The smaller tank capacity doesn't bother me since it still achieves similar range from having a 2 liter engine.

Shame they don't have the space available to make the tank size an optional extra - I'd love to have a 60/70L tank, save me having to go to the petrol station every 5 days! :)

The DIS showed only 5 mile range left so went to tesco to fill up. Now before with my A4, when the range got to zero I would fill up to the brim and find that there was still about 4 litres left in the tank. With my A3 I got 51.5 litres in before it auto shut off and then squeezed another half litre in. 52 litres in a 50 litre tank ??? Did I actually have any reserve or are Tescos diddling us on measurement ?
Unless you have a can in the boot, I would say it's a bit risky to rely on the range reading on the DIS getting down to 5 miles.
And I think it is highly unlikely that Tesco's pumps are incorrect - certainly to the extent you suggest.

Just filled up my A3 with it just ticking over to 0 miles left on the DIS. The pump was fully in and I let it auto stop and it registered just over 50 Litres.

Maybe runining it down beyond the reserve and up the filler neck you can achieve more!

Mine was showing two bars - went to car wash and it then showed one red bar!!

Fuel Light Bingo ..............

How low dare you go (before you run out of fuel)? ;)

nZMAvgB.jpg

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Wondering Soul, Pulp84 and 8 others
@veeeight very brave, did you have a full fuel can in the boot

53.8L for me had driven another 10 miles after DIS was reading 0

No Premium fuel @veeeight ?? tut tut tut :)

Edit.. Maybe that is premium?.. I don't actually know how much fuel costs anymore.. haha

Last edited:
It was Momentum 99 :)

No spare fuel can in the back either, I was just praying :)

Reactions: Pulp84 and Blackwhite
A3 Sedan is 50 litters as said in catalog but VCDS shows 52 litters.
When you fill fuel at full, VCDS shows 52 litters but does not drop about 60 miles/100 km of driving.

You will get more into a 50 litre tank than the 50 litres. As some one already said there is an amount of space left for expansion. Its something they all do. Its not always ideal to brim it.

Worthy Challenge...but Super unleaded.....makes no difference to the S3's performance

^ why do you think this?

You won't be getting all your 296 horses with 95 RON fuel ;)

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Pulp84
^ why do you think this?

Ran the car on both didn't notice anymore eagerness from the engine,the ST was different it actually felt more eager, you also gained a extra few horses from 247-252 bhp,though saying that most St's left the factory with around 256 bhp so your talking 260bhp with super unleaded

^ why do you think this?

....you won't be getting 296 horses either if you keep running yer fuel tank down to empty!! ;)

Reactions: veeeight