Fuel Pump Replacement

J-Audi17

Reaction score
Hello,

So after having nearly what seems to be everything repaired on this car my fuel pump now has decided to die. Im struggling to find the correct part and with the garage I currently have the car at being looked at estimating £340 for the pump alone I'm hoping someone may be able to help and point me in the right direction. The car itself is a 1.8T Quattro Sport 2002. Any help is appreciated as I'm at the bitter end with this car!

Cheers

I have a 2001 s3 and I got a new DW65 put in mine and it only cost £215 for the pump so i dont see why that pump the garage is trying to sell you is so dear. I know there different models of cars but the dw pump come for either awd or fwd so it might fit if you look into it. Hope that helps in any way.

if you get the top one you simply change the outside bits £340 sounds like they're are having a laugh.

Upload 2017 12 12 21 54 4

Reactions: J-Audi17
Don't know, it's an 18 year old car though? I got a Haas one from eurocarparts I think for about £90, I thought it was noisy to start with. And the car runs out of fuel when the computer says 8 miles left, that's probably my fitment of it though, is like a big floating spring.

If the car is mapped get a DW65V pump. They are on offer occasionally as coord sport or part box as they trade as are I believe the UK distributor for Deatschwerks stuff. I got one on Black Friday for around £195 delivered.
Not much use if you need it now though. The FWD pump is different to the Quattro pump and cannot be used.
https://www.part-box.com/deatschwer...stall-kit-for-1-8t-amp-vr6-quattro-9-655-1025

This is for a FWD pump install but 4WD is similar.
http://www.deatschwerks.com/files/dw/products/fuelpump/1.8T Fuel Pump Install Instructions with Pictures1.pdf

Hopefully there isn't too much fuel in the tank. I am letting mine run right down before I attempt to change it.

Reactions: J-Audi17
stuart b , I changed mine too recently. had the same problem with a low reading fuel gauge afterwards. I had to adjust the fuel tank level in vcds to get it right. hope that helps

ian

Reactions: IPG
stuart b , I changed mine too recently. had the same problem with a low reading fuel gauge afterwards. I had to adjust the fuel tank level in vcds to get it right. hope that helps

ian

What do you actually change in vcds Ian? I've had the same problem for about a year since I put mine in but didn't know it could be sorted via vcds.

I copied this from vortex.
This got me sorted.

1. Turn the car ignition on, but do not start it. Using the VAG-COM, go into the Instrument Cluster control module (-17-) and select OUTPUT TESTS (-03-).
2. Click on the START/NEXT button to initiate a sequence of tests. The first of these tests the sweep and calibration of the analog gauges. The needles for all four gauges (tach, speedo, coolant temp, fuel level) will drop to 0, sweep slowly all the way to their maximum, and then drop down to a calibration position. These positions are:
Tach - 3000 RPMs
Speedo - 62 MPH (100 KPH)
Coolant Temp - 190°F (90°C)
Fuel Level - 1/2 tank
The Bentley CD indicates that if any of these settings in incorrect, then there is an unrepairable error in the instrument cluster and it should be replaced. All of mine are good, except for the fuel level, which displays just under 1/2 tank. This is obviously part of the reason for my incorrect fuel reading, but I'm not going to pay for another cluster just to fix it. Instead, you can use the VAG-COM to fudge the displayed level.
biggrin.gif

3. Click the START/NEXT button to cycle through all of the remaining output tests. These tests will check the various warning lights, chimes and LCD displays in the cluster.
4. Keep clicking the START/NEXT button until END comes up, click it once more and then click EXIT to go back to the main menu for the Instrument Cluster controlmodule.

STEP 2 - ADJUSTING THE DISPLAYED FUEL LEVEL
These steps are based on those given in the Bentley CD and are intended to be used after the fuel level sender has been replaced. The proper way to calibrate the fuel gauge to the new sender is to drain the fuel tank, add 7 liters (1.85 gal) of gas, which is the exact amount in the "reserve" tank, and then adjust the fuel gauge needle so that it coincides with the red "reserve" line on the fuel gauge. I wasn't about to go through this, so I filled up my tank and adjusted the needle so that it read full (or as close as I could get it). The VAG-COM allows you to adjust the position of the needle an amount equal to 2 liters of fuel in either direction (+/-) of it's normal factory setting. To do this, do the following:
1. Select ADAPTATION (-10-) on the main screen of the Instrument Cluster controlmodule.
2. In the CHANNEL box, enter 30 and then click on READ. This will display the stored value for the fuel gauge calibration and normally should be 128. You may enter a value from 120 to 136. Each number corresponds to a 1 ohm adjustment of the fuel level sender output and corresponds to 1/4 of a liter. You can use the UP and DOWN buttons to adjust the number while you watch the gauge needle move. If you're doing it the proper way, then adjust the needle until it lines up perfectly with the red mark on the gauge. If you're doing it a different way, like I did, then adjust the needle until it sits where you want it to.
3. Click on SAVE. The new setting is now being used.
That's about it. If you mess something up and want to go back to the original setting, it's 128.

Reactions: Stuart B
Apologies on the delay in responding. Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Turned out to be a complete ******* to get sorted. I went with the suggestion Stuart-B made but wisely before purchasing went and had a look at the pump removed with the mechanic. Turned out the swilrpot section had completely separated from the sender unit, this was broken and so couldn't be attached to that part. After a lot of ******* around bit the bullet and got a genuine part. Installed and running again. For now......

Cheers again.

Hello,

So after having nearly what seems to be everything repaired on this car my fuel pump now has decided to die. Im struggling to find the correct part and with the garage I currently have the car at being looked at estimating £340 for the pump alone I'm hoping someone may be able to help and point me in the right direction. The car itself is a 1.8T Quattro Sport 2002. Any help is appreciated as I'm at the bitter end with this car!

Cheers
340 they are ripping you off mate..sod them and get the 90 quid one as Stuart b has suggested..
If your about to tune the car in the future then the dw pump is a must as mentioned in other tuning threads..
I have a s3 8l with a a3 quattro pump all working well.
Took the pump out of my a3 which I was breaking 2 years ago bearing in mind that my a3 was 2 years older than my s3..
Good luck buddy