FUEL PUMP MAYBE????

Sm3g

STANDARD S3 (225bhp)
Reaction score
hope you guys might be able to shed a bit of light on whats up with my motor'
basically last week i felt a massive drop in power when the car was boosting up,it just didnt pull like it usually does it was like in some kind of limp mode,so i took it to a garage they checked the turbo and boost and said that they were fine they then vag checked it and all that and it came up with a fuel pump relay,so they put a new one on for me and wiped the fault codes off,and for day it was fine back to 100%,but yesterday its gone back to how it was before,

since it started running funny though there has been a low pitched beep coming from what i believe to be the fuel pump just under the drivers side rear?
any ideas everyone would be much appreciated:thumbsup:

Not sure what the symptoms of a failing/tired fuel pump are, would be good if you get your fuelling checked, if your car is running lean it'll do damage because it'll be running quite a bit hotter than normal. My car was dyno'd early in the year and i was told then it was running lean, few thousand miles later and now my cylinder head has a few cracks in it:(

Get a reputable garage to check your fuelling/fuel pump, just out of interest what mileage has your S3 done?

its only got 72000miles on it,and its still standard bhp aswell,
i have phoned the garage back up today and im taking it back in wednesday for a fuel pressure check, the daft thing is it just seems to go back to working fine then suddenly back in to some kind of limp mode again but when it did that last i went on a long strech of road and put it in 3rd gear at around 30mph then put my foot fully down and it boosted in but there was no pull at all,it was really holding back....but then suddenly it just kicked back in did the power and it was fine again for a couple of hours????

It needs scanning for faults by the sounds of it, could be the maf, coolant temp sender. When was it last serviced?

At that mileage i wouldn't expect the fuel pump to be failing, could do with possibly changing the fuel filter

they said at the garage they scanned it for faults using vag and some other device cant remember what they said it was and it only showed up a fuel relay fault code
its got full service history from audi and it had a major service by them about 14months ago,also i put a brand new maf on it 6month ago from audi aswell.
think your right it could prob do with a new fuel pump and filter then hopefully that will sort it!!!!

I wouldn't get a fuel pump until your 100% bud, the fuel pumps ain't cheap! lol If you change parts on the 'think' you'll end up spending £££'s and still have the fault occuring in a few months time.

Last service was 14mths ago, how many miles has it done since?

Could be something very simple like the DV not holding boost

its done 12,000miles since it was serviced last,it has a forge 007p dv fitted i put that on around 10month ago,suppose it could be that ill have a quick look at it,ill see what happens when i take it back in wednesday and let you guys know the out come,
cheers for your advise matey!

just bought a new fuel filter today from audi,so ill take it with me tomorrow to the garage and see if this could be the problem,also on way to work this morning the engine managment light has now come on!!

I had the same issue a long time ago and it was only when gunning it, changed the fuel filter and all was sorted, I cut the old one up to have a look and it was very dirty and blocked. I now replace it every year without fail, for the sake of 5 quid and a bit of cursing when I can't get the old one out it's worth it. I still can't believe that Audi seem to think it never needs replacing, madness.

I never had a EML come up so I would check via vagcom asap or take it nice and easy to the garage tomorrow and make sure they are aware of the fault code.

You need to find the exact part code numbers from the scan. The fuel pump relay is relevant to about lots of different fault codes and is not always the problem. FYI my car had issues of conking out- scanned it and it came up with a fuel pump relay. Replaced the relay and all was good however it did it again and the same code came up but with a few more, in the end the engine speed sensor needed to be changed and this cured the issue.

****** car back to normal again now guys,working fine again,eml still on like,just have to wait and get a fuel pressure test done tomorrow,iv narrowed the constant beeping or whining noise down to the fuel filter,so hopefully it could be that thats blocked iv got a new one anyroad today so ill get them to put it on for me!!

ive had the same issue with my car, when putting my foot down it kept hitting wot seemed to be limp mode but never no codes.try logging your fueling to give you some idea of wot the fueling doing.ive heard the same about the fuel filter, should never need changing.but that cant be right.i changed my fuel pump for a cheap 1.8t pump from euro car parts.cost 80 quid.seems loads better now, but i will need to change it for a gen from audi.ive been quoted 220

yerh thats what audi quoted me for a new fuel pump around £230,im hoping its just the fuel filter thats blocked up and causing a bit of back pressure hence the noise im getting,to be honest aswell its looks to me like the fuel filter has prob never been changed as the jublee clip around it is rusty as hell,and the filter its self looks like it been through the wars

Word of advice on changing the fuel filter.

1. Run the fuel to near enough empty
2. Take out the fuse
3. WEAR SOME GOGGLES - getting fuel in the eye isn't great

been down audi and you can get the pump for 187.it would be 230 if you had new seals and the cap.ive just ordered a new fuel filter. so ill give that ago aswell

well they got it on the computer today and they have narrowed it down to that little pipe that goes on to the fuel pressure regulator it wasnt tight enough on there so the car was apparently not knowing how much fuel to throw in,they put me the new fuel filter on aswell and the low pitched beeping noise has now gone,so the car is back to working 100% again now......i just hope thats the problem cured now so ill give it a few days just to make sure the eml dosnt come back on

****** whining noise has just come back this morning,the car is still running perfect though and no engine lights have come on,but im pretty sure now that its got to be the fuel pump thats on its way out as the noise is there just on tick over and normal driving, its coming from underneath the rear of the car around the fuel tank area aswell,ill see how long it stays running ok and if it goes back funny or the eml comes back on i think ill have to change the fuel pump.

FINALLY SORTED IT!!!
it went back to running dodgy again yesterday no eml lights had come on so i just thought sod it,im sick of taking it backwards and fowards to the garage,i read on here that someone had the same problem with a whining noise coming from the fuel pump and they changed the fpr,so i ordered a new fuel pump regulator from audi not cheap either £85,and went ahead with fitting it this morning,and when i took the old one of it was fecked,theres a little filter inside it and it was completly full of some black like tar stuff,so the fuel pump will of been working so hard trying to pump the fuel it was making a noise,so so glad i changed this part before i paid for a new fuel pump aswell......just shows although the noise was coming from the fuel pump it wasnt actually that causing the problem.

thanks for all your help guys much appreciated as always!!!!!

This sounds just like my problem - a louder than normal whirring noise from the fuel pump for around 2 weeks and the a higher pitched noise on tuesday night and now the car won't start at all and the pump isn't priming!!!

I don't really want to shell out for a new pump so may be I should check the FPR?? Would that prevent the pump from priming?