fuel pump fuse keeps blowing?

Karlos the Avant

Reaction score
hi guys,

I have broken down twice now at the side of the motorway{one time last night}.

Both times it has been the fuse blown for the fuel pump, I change the fuse and it starts and runs with no issues at all.

Could anyone suggest what may be doing this and has anyone had the same issue to help me out abit with this one.

I have noticed that the car has lost power when driving along exactly the same as it does when the fuse blows but it has only done the fuse twice but has suffered the same symptoms a few times now.

any help or suggestions would be greatful

Kindest regards
Karl

Your fuel pump's on its last legs, and is drawing more current than it should.

Replace, and all will be well.

Your fuel pump's on its last legs, and is drawing more current than it should.

Replace, and all will be well.

Thanks mate,

Are they expensive and are they fitted in the tanks on the 1997 avant 18t or is it a bolt on job under the car?

Another problem to tackle then and are we sure that would be the fault before i buy anything Siena{not that i doubt your oppinion at all, ive seen the work you do on here manytimes, just checking mate thats all}

regards
Karl

It cant really be anything else. A fuse will only blow if yyou draw too much current, either meaning something has shorted out in the wiring harness, or the component is faulty.

If it was a short, it would be unlikely to unshort again hence i would look at the pump first.

You should be able to pick one up from a breakers yard for not much cash. We changed the pump in my brothers E30 recently, cost us £25 for a pump from an E46 M3 which we then made fit in the original cradle. Most pumps are pretty standard shape/size, they just get fitted into various shaped cradles by the manufacturer.

It cant really be anything else. A fuse will only blow if yyou draw too much current, either meaning something has shorted out in the wiring harness, or the component is faulty.

If it was a short, it would be unlikely to unshort again hence i would look at the pump first.

You should be able to pick one up from a breakers yard for not much cash. We changed the pump in my brothers E30 recently, cost us £25 for a pump from an E46 M3 which we then made fit in the original cradle. Most pumps are pretty standard shape/size, they just get fitted into various shaped cradles by the manufacturer.

I thought Siena was prob spot on and that has just has just assued me that he was and yet again you guys have impressed me big time.

i will have to sort one asap ive just been on hardshoulder again on way home and after a 10hr night shift its not the best place I like to be lol

put fuse in again and off i flew like mad man trying to get it off the motorway but managed to get it home with no more issues.

The part number suggests its from a B6 fwd.

You might still be able to make use of the pump itself though. Usually most cars use a similar size/shape pump, then its fitted into various plastic housings etc to fit a particular model.

If you remove the actual pump from that housing, then hopefully you can swap it out for yours. You may need to solder the wiring connections on though.

The part number suggests its from a B6 fwd.

You might still be able to make use of the pump itself though. Usually most cars use a similar size/shape pump, then its fitted into various plastic housings etc to fit a particular model.

If you remove the actual pump from that housing, then hopefully you can swap it out for yours. You may need to solder the wiring connections on though.

thanks Kev

Did they change the set up on the B6 fwd and is there a big differance from the B5 fwd?

i will give it a go when it gets here and for £36 brand new im sure i will make it fit some how.

I just thought they would all be the same to be honest, didnt think they would have changed the tank pump unit from model to model.

regards
Karl

Ye i'd imagine they will be different housings, B6 has a rear subframe and independent rear arms, B5 has a torsion beam, so the tank will likely be laid out differently.

You should be able to swap the pumps over if your careful.

Swapped a pump a few months ago in my brothers E30. Wasnt any E30's in the scrappy, but we spotted an E46 M3 that had been properly gutted. Pump was still there though, so i ripped it out the cradle paid £25 for the "318i pump" and made it fit!

Ye i'd imagine they will be different housings, B6 has a rear subframe and independent rear arms, B5 has a torsion beam, so the tank will likely be laid out differently.

You should be able to swap the pumps over if your careful.

Swapped a pump a few months ago in my brothers E30. Wasnt any E30's in the scrappy, but we spotted an E46 M3 that had been properly gutted. Pump was still there though, so i ripped it out the cradle paid £25 for the "318i pump" and made it fit!

cool, thats well worth a try for me then, as soon as i get them both out i will have a better idea what im up against and if i get stuck i will post pics of them both pumps before i start to pull them apart.

ive just been looking at the pics of B5 and B6 pumps via google and the main part, what i assume is the actual pump unit looks prety much the same.so may get away with the change over you managed on the BMW.

if i can manage to get my turbo off and split it in half, then back on and actualy working lol, im sure with a little help i could tackle the fuel pump because now the car is running sh*t hot its really really 'P'ing me off keep stopping when the fuse blows.

afternoon all

my new pump arrived today
761cb6b7.jpg

as i was already advised by Kev{cheers mate} the pump i ordered was from a newer model and not same as mine but is new Audi pump in box for £30

thats the top off my old pump on top of tank
a7807cfd.jpg

thats the inside bit in the tank
15710acb.jpg

thats the new side pump section of the new pump
45311561.jpg

thats my new pump wire conector
a62911dd.jpg

thats my pump wire conector
39d48707.jpg

The first thing is how do i get the tank section out of my fuel tank?

The next thing is it possible to make one good pump out of the 2 or could i take all my pump out of the tank and drop the new one in there?

Any help or advise would be greatful

kindest regards
Karl

ok in the third last image there is a cream bit in the middle with the pipe connections and wires going onto it and its held in by three plastic clips round the outside...

Push those clips and the pump should slide out of the swirl pot.

Then on the same part on your car you need to do the same (theres more clips) then compare the two pumps once they're both out.

The B6 pump seems to have an extra pipe, perhaps just the return? Might be more obvious once you get the pump out the carrier.

Hmm i've noticed something...

The Pump says 051M on it...

8E0919051M is the pump from 2.0 FSI engined B6 cars, and i have a feeling that the pump is different on FSI engines.

Most cars run a system where the pump pushes fuel continously to the fuel rail and a regulator on the rail controls the pressure. I THINK an FSI engine has a PWM controlled pump and no return. I may be wrong however, as there are certainly what looks like a return on that pump.

ok in the third last image there is a cream bit in the middle with the pipe connections and wires going onto it and its held in by three plastic clips round the outside...

Push those clips and the pump should slide out of the swirl pot.

Then on the same part on your car you need to do the same (theres more clips) then compare the two pumps once they're both out.

The B6 pump seems to have an extra pipe, perhaps just the return? Might be more obvious once you get the pump out the carrier.

thanks Kev,

i have managed to get the old pump out and found 2 things that dont look good.

this is the side view exactly as it came out
e56361ac.jpg

this is another view of the old tank that looks twisted and not sat together correctly
2d533439.jpg

this is the other thing i dont like, the black wire near my thumb is all bent and showing wires hanging out.
abc1cfe2.jpg

the connector from the sender on the side of my tank section that plugs into the top section also has dodgy conections

could any of these be causing my fuse to blow ?

I have fitted new wiring to the pump and new connectors on the sender unit to see if this resolves the issue before i go pulling the old and new pump apart.

it seems to be ticking over a little smoother and seems to go ok but the fuse only ever went on the motorway on the way to work after about 10-15 miles on the motorway.

I looks like the actual pump its self is the same in both units but cant see exactly till if and when i pull them apart.

fingers crossed it may be ok now because the wires were in a bad way and large chunks of connector plastic now cleaned out the tank with new filter on.

I am still getting smooth running and boost is going up to 1.3-1.4 bar so its cool for now

Hmm i've noticed something...

The Pump says 051M on it...

8E0919051M is the pump from 2.0 FSI engined B6 cars, and i have a feeling that the pump is different on FSI engines.

Most cars run a system where the pump pushes fuel continously to the fuel rail and a regulator on the rail controls the pressure. I THINK an FSI engine has a PWM controlled pump and no return. I may be wrong however, as there are certainly what looks like a return on that pump.

im a bit stuck as to what to do for the best to be honest mate.

do i pull the new pump apart and go for the swop over or do i stick it on here and ebay for sale, then buy the exact one i need.

do the fuel tanks fit from newer models? then i can run the exhaust through the middle and put twin exits on the back.

I dont mind paying for the tank if it resolves my exhaust issues as well and then i can do it how i want it and not just the only way i can now.

what issues are there chainging the tank? would it fit?

any thoughts on this would be greatful.

Doubt the tank from another model will fit. The tank will be shaped to fit the cars floorpan.

Take the FSI pump out of the plastic housing and post a pic of it. Might be a bit clearer once its out if it will be usable or not.

If it was my car, i'd find a pump that fits and stick it in the original cradle. A B6 pump would probably have worked, as i'd imagine had it been from a normal petrol model it'd have been identical anyway.

Doubt the tank from another model will fit. The tank will be shaped to fit the cars floorpan.

Take the FSI pump out of the plastic housing and post a pic of it. Might be a bit clearer once its out if it will be usable or not.

If it was my car, i'd find a pump that fits and stick it in the original cradle. A B6 pump would probably have worked, as i'd imagine had it been from a normal petrol model it'd have been identical anyway.

thats the pump section took out
4f109376.jpg

it came out of this:
25dba2dc.jpg

1ccaa155.jpg

thats top view:
7b5a4804.jpg

thats bottom view
1efb10b4.jpg

pump shown inside casing:
2d6ecd13.jpg

they look prety much same as the one i had out the tank Kev ?

do you think i could drop this part in the tank
7b5a4804.jpg

to repace this part as direct swop:
e56361ac.jpg

that way i wouldnt have to get the actual pump out the outer casing mmmmmmmmm

Well theres an extra pipe on the new one, need to work out what that does... What does it connect to?

Also, i would remove the pump itself (the shiney metal cylinder) from the plastic, and swap just the pump over into the B5 plastics....

Well theres an extra pipe on the new one, need to work out what that does... What does it connect to?

Also, i would remove the pump itself (the shiney metal cylinder) from the plastic, and swap just the pump over into the B5 plastics....

the other pipe goes down the back into the side bottom hole from the outside of this case and sits behind the valve inside {yellow valve}
25dba2dc.jpg

Is there another return pipe somewhere else on the new pump?

Your original pump housing will have had two pipes going to the top plate, the one from the pump and the other feeding into the swirl pot ye?

Does this new pump also have two connections on the top plate?

Is there another return pipe somewhere else on the new pump?

Your original pump housing will have had two pipes going to the top plate, the one from the pump and the other feeding into the swirl pot ye?

Does this new pump also have two connections on the top plate?

thats the new pump with all the pipes showing just not screwed together
bd376523.jpg

thats the pump back in place in case
adc74bf2.jpg

i dont mind messing about if i get it to work because its still the fraction of the price of a new audi pump.

So on the sender head there are two pipes? one with a black fitting that presumably connects to the pump, and anohter that goes inside the swirl pot?

I really dont know why the pump has that additional pipe that runs down the side of the swirl pot...

Can you take the pump itself out of the plastic and see if it has a manufacturers part number on it?

So on the sender head there are two pipes? one with a black fitting that presumably connects to the pump, and anohter that goes inside the swirl pot?

I really dont know why the pump has that additional pipe that runs down the side of the swirl pot...

Can you take the pump itself out of the plastic and see if it has a manufacturers part number on it?

the pipe coming from the top of the pump goes on the plastic pipe conector just in front of it on the pic of the new pump together
bd376523-1.jpg

could i take all my insides out of the tank like this pic
360cde5b.jpg

if so how do you get the small tank the pump is sat in ? and if i do, can i then just drop all the new pump in my tank and cut my conecting plug off and the spade conect my wires to the new pump ?

was the tank shape changed or just the pump and the way it was put together?