Fuel Leaking out of my car

Jenno007

Reaction score
Hi All,

Today I had fuel leaking from the rear driver side of the car today (exactly where the fuel filter is).

Now two things

1) I have played around with the fuel filter, one of the clips just PULLS off (ie, don't need to use a screwdriver to push in the plastic tab). However, I don't think this is leaking. Just to be safe I want to replace it though. It is the side that goes from the tank to the IN side of the fuel filter. Can I buy the new clip and replace it on its own, or am I best getting the entire piece from the fuel tank to the fuel filter?

2) Shock horror, I think this is the cause of my leak.. I removed my rear seat and the fuel pump cover, and there was fuel flooded in the surround! Here is a picture of where I mean (this is after I mopped up all the fuel)
ICHFOUl.jpg

How would fuel get into here? Would I not have screwed on the the black plastic nut correctly? Maybe the rubber seal isn't in the correct spot. Or could it possibly be leaking from one of the hoses there (both seemed secure, ie didn't just pull off). It's very late here so I have left my car tonight and I will play around with it a bit more tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I would greatly appreciate any help! Cheers guys

My money is on the rubber seal...

<tuffty/>

It does seem like that, however I haven't touched it in months and only just got this problem.

Regarding point 1, how would I go about replacing the clip? I think it would be easier to just replace the 30cm of fuel hose?

If you can buy one (which maybe tough to find on its own) then it could work but never done one tbh so can't really comment..

<tuffty/>

I had this happen after i changed the fuel pump, it turns out i had over tightened the black ring and i think it popped off the end of the thread. I've put it on a little looser and its stayed put for 3 months now. But as tuffty says id take the top off and check the rubber seal is seated correctly.

If you can buy one (which maybe tough to find on its own) then it could work but never done one tbh so can't really comment..

<tuffty/>

I worry when I have to do something that you have never done on an Audi. Why me :p

You can replace the clips on the fuel filter connections, instead of having to replace the whole pipe.
Should be these http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=33125&SEName=800-021
according to this http://writen4u.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Replace-Fuel-Filter-VWAudi-18T-MKIV-DIY

:)

Wow great find thank you. The DIY doesn't really go into how to remove the clip, and the last paragraph confuses me a little

"In the picture you can see how the bottom side of the "L" has a white strip. on the fuel filter that strip will be black, but it will be in the same place and the concept to release it is the same. Press that strip down and the clip releases."

Since the clip isn't 100% broken, it can just be pulled off without pushing the tab in, I may just cable tie it to the fuel filter. It does seem dodgy but then there is no way it will come off and it shouldn't leak fuel!

I had this happen after i changed the fuel pump, it turns out i had over tightened the black ring and i think it popped off the end of the thread. I've put it on a little looser and its stayed put for 3 months now. But as tuffty says id take the top off and check the rubber seal is seated correctly.

I did the ring up quite tight! Hopefully that is it, I will check after work. Thanks a heap, now I'm confident it will be an easy fix!

He's talking about removing the complete fitting from the filter I think and in his picture it's a white clip in the fitting, where as yours maybe black.I've not actually removed the clip from those fittings myself but I should think once you have the fitting off the filter and the new clip in your hand, it should be pretty self explanatory to fit the new clip in.

Anybody tried ordering one of these clips yet? I need one for the back line into the filter.

I used some wd40 and wiggled the clip around and it is now clamping on the fuel filter again!

I changed that pipe on Nilz car the other week the pipe was only around 18 quid from tps.

I changed that pipe on Nilz car the other week the pipe was only around 18 quid from tps.

The pipe that goes from the fuel tank to the fuel filter?

Apparently you need to drop the tank to remove it? Was it hard to fit?

Took about an hour .... Remove tank strap bolts and one by where the neck comes out push the tank down and out comes the pipe would be easy on a ramp

Took about an hour .... Remove tank strap bolts and one by where the neck comes out push the tank down and out comes the pipe would be easy on a ramp
Perfect mate cheers for that! If the clip plays up again I'll change it

The rubber seal is a fairly common thing to leak here in Dubai. The heat here just destroys rubber and plastic.
I bought 2 new seals from the agents on the weekend as I can smell fuel when I have a full tank. I haven't checked for the leak but I'm sure its one of the seals. Best to replace both at the same time :)
Part number for seals - 1J0 919 133A

The rubber seal is a fairly common thing to leak here in Dubai. The heat here just destroys rubber and plastic.
I bought 2 new seals from the agents on the weekend as I can smell fuel when I have a full tank. I haven't checked for the leak but I'm sure its one of the seals. Best to replace both at the same time :)
Part number for seals - 1J0 919 133A
Thanks mate! I will do the right thing and replace them both. Cheers for that

Here in Western Australia it can get pretty warm as well :p

Another question for you Scullies, since it is hot where you live, do you ever find the fan still running after you turn your car off? Still run the stnd cooling system?

I have a Direnza radiator, its pretty good as it keeps my coolant close to 90c. Highway cruising when its 45-48c ambient the coolant sits bang on 88c all day long and that's with the radiator sitting behind the AC condenser, large FMIC and large oil cooler.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIRENZA-V...UMINIUM-ALLOY-RACE-RADIATOR-RAD-/181185799856
I didn't pay that price tho :)

General driving around during summer, the fans don't stay on after I have switched off. Occasionally they will stay on for a few seconds after a good thrashing, not very long though. I would guess 30secs at a max. I assume the fans only switch off when the coolant inside the radiator as cooled down to the specified temp as the fans use the radiator temp sensor to switch on/off

I have a Direnza radiator, its pretty good as it keeps my coolant close to 90c. Highway cruising when its 45-48c ambient the coolant sits bang on 88c all day long and that's with the radiator sitting behind the AC condenser, large FMIC and large oil cooler.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIRENZA-V...UMINIUM-ALLOY-RACE-RADIATOR-RAD-/181185799856
I didn't pay that price tho :)

General driving around during summer, the fans don't stay on after I have switched off. Occasionally they will stay on for a few seconds after a good thrashing, not very long though. I would guess 30secs at a max. I assume the fans only switch off when the coolant inside the radiator as cooled down to the specified temp as the fans use the radiator temp sensor to switch on/off
That is crazy money! But the radiator sounds exactly what I need... My fans will be on after I cruise around even if it's only 32 degrees

I was eyeing off this one http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...ngine/Cooling/Radiator/Performance/ES2764523/

But given what you say about the one you linked, I might try find it for cheaper. But it looks very similar to the one from ecs

Don't know why that ebay seller has such a stupid price. I bought mine for 60GBP, they go on auction from time to time for around that price.
My mate had a mishimoto radiator in his TT - his coolant was always around 95 or something. He bought a Direnza and all is happy.

Don't know why that ebay seller has such a stupid price. I bought mine for 60GBP, they go on auction from time to time for around that price.
My mate had a mishimoto radiator in his TT - his coolant was always around 95 or something. He bought a Direnza and all is happy.

Right, that solves that then, I will go for a Direnza. If you could find the seller you got yours from that would be amazing!

But I'll search every couple of days and hope I get lucky!

Thanks heaps

edit: found it here for 220 pounds which is more on track to what I'd be prepared to pay, I wonder what shipping to Australia would be though!
http://www.direnza.co.uk/audi-a3-s3...via-vw-golf-bora-1-8t-aluminium-radiator.html

Sorry, I bought the radiator about 3 years ago and don't have any history that far back - keep an eye on ebay uk and look for direnza mk4 1.8t. They normally don't list it as S3 or TT

Reactions: Jenno007
The price will be so high as the item is out of stock add it to watch list and when it's back in stock the price will drop

Reactions: Jenno007
The price will be so high as the item is out of stock add it to watch list and when it's back in stock the price will drop

Ahh that makes sense, they don't want anyone to buy it but don't want to pay the relisting fee. Good to know thanks!