Fuel gauge problems !

S3LAK

Reaction score
The fuel gauge and computer on my 99 S3 is going mad!
Sometimes it will read full when it is empty and sometimes it reads empty just after Ive filled it up, the rest of the time it gives false readings in between ???
Any ideas ?

Congratulations, now we are 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif OK, so far, I've had my tank re-leveled, my fuel gauge check no less than 3 times, and my entire instrument cluster replaced. So far, no luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif My A3 is going in on Tuesday for 2 days, specifically for the mechanics to track this down. (btw, it's been going on since last JULY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif ) All I can recommend is keep track of your miles. For instance, I know I can get at least 600kms off of a full tank, so each time I fill up, I reset the odometer. If you can wait til wed or thurs, I'll let you know what they find and how much it cost me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

btw, I think it might have something to do with the Quattro.

Thanks,

Im glad Im not alone, please let me know if you solve the problem.
ps yes it is a quattro

Yes both of what you say happens with mine. Ive also run out of petrol with a quarter of a tank showing, and yesterday it showed half a tank when I had done 325 miles and I knew it was nearly empty. But sometimes it will show completely empty just after I filled it up !!
Has anybody got any suggestions ??

Like I said Dude, I'm going in on Tuesday morning, if you don't get anything figured out before then, I'll let you know what was found (If anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) I've been in at least 5 times over the last year for this, and it still hasn't been fixed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif LUCKILY it happened and we reported it, 2 months before my warranty expired /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It is kinda funny though, when you start off with a half tank, drive 100+ kms and end off with a full one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If only gas TRULY reproduced like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

OK, so we have a 99 S3 (S3LAK), a 2000 S3(Aman) and a 2001 A3TQ (Me) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Well, I'll bring it up with the mechanics on Tuesday, hopefully knowing it's a problem with you guys MIGHT motivate the ******** enough to FIX it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I frickin TOLD THEM it's the Quattro way back in July, but no one wanted to listen. I remember there was an issue with A6 Quattro fuel gauges. There was something about how the Quattro fuel tank was shaped in order to fit around the rear diff. I REALLY think this has something to do with ours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif But when I find out, I'll let you guys know.

Hey do any of you guys also experience problems when refeuling.

It seems to take me ages to fill up, the nozzel jus clicks straight away, i have to keep the trigger half pulled or pull the nozzel out slightly. I have tried different pumps but still the same problem...

a blocked/trapped breather pipe can cause pumps to click off but that usually only occurs after a tank has been changed (poorly). My old E30 BMWs gauge could be a bit erratic (not in your scope though). I put it down to the fact that there is kind two tanks as it hangs over the driveshaft like saddlebags and there was a small connecting pipe between them - technically both halves should have the same amount but it isnt always the case. It sometimes could alter if you were pulling a few sideways G's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've wondered about that myself. It does seem that the UK dealers really give it to y'all. I've wondered why y'all don't just source your parts from over here, but I'm unfamiliar with the whole "Customs" thing. Would it be tax evasion for you to source parts from somewhere that DOESN'T require VAT, then ship them to a VAT country like the UK?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Hmmm.

And it was 330 Euros for the part itself, I have no idea (nor do I want to know) what the labor costs were
smashfreakB.gif

Well...

Ok I had this problem for a while when I just got my car, the rev counter had a mind of its own, mileage counter kept flickering and the fuel gauge... well.. same as most of you..

As I knew that the mileage/rev counter sensors sat on the engine block, I took it out and reseated it and havent had any problems since... whether this will work for some of you, I havent got a clue, but it worked for me.. downside is I wondered why t'was not seated properly, but thats another story... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Drill...

Import duty is cost+10%+VAT, so if something costs the equivelent of £100its
+ 10 (10%)
+ VAT on 110

Total 129.25