Fuel Flap release not opening

I think my ****....You Audi was justifiable............

I thought that over 4 years ago mate. You think that a “premium” brand you get a premium service.

I’ve never bothered with them from the day I bought my car as there service etc is SH1T!

I think my ****....You Audi was justifiable............

Not even allowed a four letter word beginning with F apparently. No, not that one! The one that rhymes with car part and exits via your single exhaust port.

Reactions: NevMan
Time to get rid Jassy if it’s falling apart already.

Reactions: Mark_86, NevMan and MikeParkin
Add me to the list.

Fuel flap completely jammed this morning, red plastic pull cord no use either.

Luckily I wasn't far from the dealer and they have taken it in today to replace the actuator.

Add me to the list.

Fuel flap completely jammed this morning, red plastic pull cord no use either.

Luckily I wasn't far from the dealer and they have taken it in today to replace the actuator.

It’s such a common problem dealers hold the parts in stock.

Mine is the other way round, I can open the fuel flap but takes n-number of tries to close/lock it. On occasions I have left it open as I couldn't be bothered. Mine is booked in for 18th for couple of other warranty works and this will be added to the list as well.

Is there anything preventative that can be done? Thinking a liberal coating of grease?!

Reactions: Ron240, Bristle Hound and AlS3BE
Is there anything preventative that can be done? Thinking a liberal coating of grease?!
Grease can work in 2 opposing ways. It either helps the moving parts slide and move around more easily and freely to stop things getting stuck. The other side of it is dirt/grit stick to grease better than it sticks to water and wear things out quicker or worse push dirt into parts that shouldn’t get dirty. The cap is fairly exposed so I personally wouldn’t grease it up cause the dirt issues. This is the reason you don’t grease up shocks especially motorbike shocks with the very exposed pistons as the seal should keep dirt out.

It’s one of those things and it’s happened on my Audi’s and Mercedes so not unique to the vag group.

Reactions: Ron240
Does anyone know what the failure mechanism is, or if there is more than one? Is it the mechanism becoming seized due to dirt, lack of lubrication etc, or is it failure of an electrical component?

Does anyone know what the failure mechanism is, or if there is more than one? Is it the mechanism becoming seized due to dirt, lack of lubrication etc, or is it failure of an electrical component?

There’s 2 types of failures. One is the solenoid/motor that works with central locking so electronic in nature. the other is more a mechanical failure and that’s the spring mechanism where you push and it pops out. This failure you can use the red cord. Other is dealer or break the flap.

No paint damage mate,l thought l would have automatically been given a time and date which suited me to fit a new part..but sadly not anyway l was too eager to get to work,l will phone them tomorrow and get it booked in for a Saturday morning

On a side note...as l walked into reception l noticed 2 cars one a A4 face lift and the other a new A1...both in Turbo Blue....my heart just sank.........even l thought they where in Voodoo Blue...on further inspection they are more of a Milky Miami blue.....but too most punters they will be the same.....Voodoo is a bit bolder....but l thought **** you Audi....you've....lost my custom...not just because of the paint colour but because of a accumulation of things
I've seen a couple of new Audi's in the turbo blue, thought of you when I saw it! I know yours is voodoo, but looked just like it!!!....out of interest how is it to look after for swirls etc, didn't you have daytona last time???

No paint damage mate,l thought l would have automatically been given a time and date which suited me to fit a new part..but sadly not anyway l was too eager to get to work,l will phone them tomorrow and get it booked in for a Saturday morning

On a side note...as l walked into reception l noticed 2 cars one a A4 face lift and the other a new A1...both in Turbo Blue....my heart just sank.........even l thought they where in Voodoo Blue...on further inspection they are more of a Milky Miami blue.....but too most punters they will be the same.....Voodoo is a bit bolder....but l thought **** you Audi....you've....lost my custom...not just because of the paint colour but because of a accumulation of things
Would this be turbo blue mate? Also the first black edition new q5 I've seen
20190302 190221 1234x1043

Reactions: NevMan, Pinky1959 and BarryG79
Looks like a Q5 Vorsprung not a BE, wheels in particular are the giveaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MattSedg
Looks like a Q5 Vorsprung not a BE, wheels in particular are the giveaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahhh didn't know there was such a thing, cool

Reactions: pauly69
Yeah "Turbo Blue very Cheesey name for a paint colour from Audi if you ask me"
Completely agree.
More suited to the likes of Vauxhall who are sticking a ridiculous boy racer Turbo badge on the back of their current models. :blink:

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Completely agree.
More suited to the likes of Vauxhall who are sticking a ridiculous boy racer Turbo badge on the back of their current models. :blink:

Very uncharacteristic of Audi though mate to name a colour after a part of a engine lol

I've seen a couple of new Audi's in the turbo blue, thought of you when I saw it! I know yours is voodoo, but looked just like it!!!....out of interest how is it to look after for swirls etc, didn't you have daytona last time???

l had Sepang Blue Previously dont have Swirls, never ever had swirls on any of my cars,Turbo is a bit lighter than Voodoo....but its difficult to capture the real colour of paint on a car via a camera phone,besides the same colour looks different on different cars
Similar lighting and weather conditions as that Q5 was photographed in

DSC 05432

Reactions: NevMan, Bristle Hound, AlS3BE and 4 others
So mine gets stuck but still clicks when it doesn't open (so solenoid is still trying). A couple of pushes to the flap and then it will open. Release works too. Lubrication (at dealer recommendation) hasn't helped.

So reading hearabouts as I recall suggests way to replace solenoid is actually from the outside and breaking the fuel filler surround clips (so that has to be replaced too). Dealer suggested it's done from the inside. Anyone found a Youtube/instructions on how to do it properly from the inside?

l had Sepang Blue Previously dont have Swirls, never ever had swirls on any of my cars,Turbo is a bit lighter than Voodoo....but its difficult to capture the real colour of paint on a car via a camera phone,besides the same colour looks different on different cars
Similar lighting and weather conditions as that Q5 was photographed in

View attachment 176954
Fair play that does look nice mate :) If I could turn back the clock I'd have bought my S3 in a different colour, banged a 5 years warranty on it and kept it!

Reactions: NevMan, loftylad and Jassyo06
Yeah "Turbo Blue very Cheesey name for a paint colour from Audi if you ask me" and its not as bold a Blue as Voodoo...bit lighter mate
@jassyo06 - Not as bad as SEAT naming their blue, mystery blue ! WTF is that all about ? lol
BTW the SayAt mystery blue is exactly the same colour as VW's lapiz blue

Pleased I never paid for the paint mind ...

Reactions: NevMan and Ron240
My fuel cap has started making a very audible mechanical noise now when I lock the car. Could that be this solenoid starting to fail?