Fuel flap not opening

Pickle1970

Reaction score
So went to fill up yesterday and the stupid fuel flap wouldn't open, all doors unlocked but just wasn't opening. I had to resort to pulling the red cable.

Tried again last night and it just won't open.

Sounds like the mechanism has failed, anyone else had this and changed the part themselves? mine's now out of warranty so don't expect Audi to fix it for nowt.

Main was the opposite the fuel flap was never looked. So took it to Audi and they replaced the mechanism on warranty. I dont think it is an expensive job anyway. Good luck

Have you tried to determine if power reaches the mechanism?
Multimeter should shown values at the connector when button on the remote or door handle is pressed.
If you don’t have the multimeter, attach a bulb to the connector and look for it to lit up when same buttons presses.

If no power is there, electrical gremlin might have messed up your wires.
Doubt there is a fuse for the flap only to check.

Alternatively you can scan it with vcds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Pickle1970 did pull the emergency flap release as a last resort in order to fill in fuel but mechanism is still not working.

Any update, mate?

I had this on my S1 - the solenoid failed, I took it to audi under warranty but did some research and it didn’t look too difficult of a job for DIY

I had the solenoid replaced on my car last year. I had to press the unlock button a few times to get it to release.

The dealer told me it is a common fault.

I'm having the same issue intermittently. Pondering whether to try and fix it or just get the dealer to look at during the next service, which isn't far away.

I had a look around inside and it has started to work again but only if I press the unlock button twice.

Think I will change it myself once It stops working altogether.

Reactions: Ormesome
I had a look around inside and it has started to work again but only if I press the unlock button twice.

Think I will change it myself once It stops working altogether.

Same as mine. Been doing it for 2yrs. not bothered me and not failed yet, it just takes 2 presses of the button instead of 1 which i am fine with!