Fuel Flap Lock Actuator - thought I'd fixed it - haven't

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
In my earlier thread about boot trims, I said I'd managed to get my fuel flap lock actuator working again, but it was short-lived. It soon stopped working, and when I tried hauling on the emergency cord with pliers, it just stretched without pulling the plunger back. So once again, I had to have the trims off, and the actuator disconnected. I have a replacement actuator on order from eBay, but quite how I swap them over, I'm really not sure.

Here's a pic of it in place, and the power connector unplugged. The body of the actuator seems to be fixed to the inner wing by the two metal pins protruding from it top right and bottom left. But from having a feel, it seems like they are the sharp ends of two screws that are screwed in from the other side. But how on earth would I access the concealed screw heads?

I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to hand this over to my garage to fit, and end up with a bill for a couple of hours labour :(

photo2_zps3c3cbd4f.jpg

Found the answer here.

I think I'll give the job over to the garage. They'll be able to do in half an hour what I would probably take three or four hours of faffing about to muck up.

Hey mate would it be possible you could tell me the part number of the actuator as the one on my new b7 dosn't work :(
Thanks!

Hey mate would it be possible you could tell me the part number of the actuator as the one on my new b7 dosn't work :(
Thanks!

Yup! Certainly can; it's 8E0862153A. The eBay seller I bought from still has two left. If you're interested, click here.

Found the answer here.

I think I'll give the job over to the garage. They'll be able to do in half an hour what I would probably take three or four hours of faffing about to muck up.

Well, how wrong can I be?! The replacement actuator arrived today and I managed to fit it after only about 25 minutes of faffing about. :yahoo:

Reactions: scotty76 and A4_MaJiK
Well done, a very good outcome. Where was it in the end?

If you look at the pic, you can see what look like two pins protruding from the body of the motor, top right and bottom left. They're actually the pointy ends of two cross- head screws. The heads of the screws are used to clamp the motor tightly into two slots in the inner wing, that are invisible when the motor is in place. The trick is to grab the end of the screw (I used a pair of mole grips end on) and turn it clockwise (yes, I know that sounds backwards, but you are working from the other end of the screw) to loosen the screw head from the slot. Do the same with the other one and the motor just slides out of the slots.

Fitting the new motor was just the reverse. The only fiddly bit was feeding the locking pin through the (invisible) hole into the fuel filler housing by touch alone. Once that was done, the rest was easy, even for a fumble fingered moron like me.