Fuel Filter replacement - worth it after 12 years?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Going through a few things with the S3 at the moment, tinkering really. The fuel filter has never been replaced, so far as I can see. Do these break down over time and thus a twelve year old unit is worth replacing, for the sake of £10?

Cheers!

Na, £10 is a lot of money.

If it's been good for 12 years it will be good for another 12.

Reactions: sam4191, superkarl, s3dave and 1 other person
I got one off ECP delivered to my door for under £5!!

I did mine when I first got the car as mine had never been replaced either and yes for the money it costs and the fact its not that hard to do its defo worthwhile when you see all the black crap that comes out when you remove it.

I put the second one for my car on yesterday, ditched the old metal bracket and now using some cable ties instead (saves weight lol)

If you look at the connectors either end of the filter you can just make out a button on each connector that when pressed in should release the hose from the filter. One of mine did this easy (be prepared for a light soaking in v power too) the other not so but I persuaded it off with another screwdriver whilst pushing on the release button.

There was still quite a lot of black crap in the filter removed and that has only been on the car 2 years and about 20k so glad I did it.

Mine was around a fiver from ECP or GSF, well worth doing, just done mine for the 2 time in two years, the last filter had only done 9,000 miles, so the fuel was still coming out clean but it's become part of my service now. If it's never been done before it needs doing, there'll be loads of black crap in yours.

Thanks guys, I'll get it done.

Gazwould - not sure if that was sarcasm, but it went over my head either way...

ECP have 25% off filters etc but you have to spend £9.99 so get a cheap fuel filter and another either pollen or oil and still a good deal.

Code is service25

Cheers both.

Bob, a re-targeted ECP ad with the same offer code was the reason for the question actually :thumbs:

What's the location of the fuel filter?

Is it in the engine bay or near the fuel tank?

Just taken advantage of the discount and bought myself a fuel filter and pollen filter!

I replace my fuel filter on every service, for the sake of less than a tenner, you may as well do it.

Reactions: Westy
Just make sure you fit it the right way around- it will have an arrow to show the direction of fuel flow ;)

Yup! Once yearly I change mine. I do oil changes every 3-5k spark plug at around 8k or every 2 services. Clean the filter 6 monthly; haldex and rear diff every 20k. Gearbox oil once yearly and brake fluid once a year. Some might think it's too much but that's how I managed to achieve good power at stg 2 on a 188k engine!

Reactions: jojo, CMcKenzie and Westy
Really scrapping the barrel at 188 lol

Reactions: Westy
It worked well! Found out my turbo had a huge crack aswel.. Not sure how it kept making power with that! It's at 194 with forged engine now. More power coming..

Reactions: kwistof