Fuel filter change

nik patel

Reaction score
Website
www.simplydents.co.uk
Looking at other posts on here to change the fuel filter is looks preety straight forward. Can someone tell me how to depressurise the fuel system? can i just take off the petrol cap to do this?

Also if anyone got any tips to change the filter please let me know. The only thing im worried about :aggressive: is not breaking the special clip which you have to press for the fuel line to release.

If your on about the clip that i think you are (the 2 plastic clips on either end of the fuel filter that the fuel line connects to), it should come with the new filter anyway.

Cheers i know they come off, but you have to disconnect them so you can take off the filter.

Do you know how to depressurise the fuel system?

Unless you have a leak there is no need to change this filter. Most Vag cars have a filter here. I had one on my MK11 golf and it must of been 17 years old!!

after 100,000 miles at 25mpg, that 4000 gallons of fuel that has gone through a small filter.....

for £7.50, it's worth changing. Once you've changed it, cut the old one up and check out whats inside.....

a new one looks like this....

fuel_filter2.jpg

Sorry Dave have to disagree with you on that one.

Although Audi may not specify it, i think its worthwhile changing it and beneficial for the car. i guess its like any other filter. All typres of filter's get dirty so therefore need changing.

nik patel said:
Sorry Dave have to disagree with you on that one.

Although Audi may not specify it, i think its worthwhile changing it and beneficial for the car. i guess its like any other filter. All typres of filter's get dirty so therefore need changing.

See your point. Why don't Audi spec this as a change?? They get money every way they can nomally bet that would be £100 fitted at the stealer's? Makes me wonder.
Nothing like P.M. but if it ain't broke and all that.....still it can't hurt!

it takes like 5 minutes to replace so its definitly worthwhile. you'd be suprised how dirty they get.

theres no real need to depressurize the system, some gas is sgoing to leak out anyways while you are changing it.

To depressurise the system, take out the fuse for the fuel pump, then try and start the engine a couple of times- it should splutter and then stop. By doing this, you draw fuel out of the lines, decreasing the pressure. You'll still get petrol running out when you take the fuel lines off the filter but it won't spray everywhere....