Fuel filler gas release

lledwoc

Reaction score
Has anyone found that when you open the fuel filler cap there is a rush of ‘gas’ (not in the American sense). Almost like opening a pop bottle.

Had my S3 over a year and only noticed in the last month or so. It’s everytime I refuel

Has anyone found that when you open the fuel filler cap there is a rush of ‘gas’ (not in the American sense). Almost like opening a pop bottle.

Had my S3 over a year and only noticed in the last month or so. It’s everytime I refuel

Happened since day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotter weather?

Perhaps, although cars are tested over 40c so not sure if an issue with evap system, not sure vapours should be released from fuel tank :huh:

Is the rush of air in or out?

I’d say mines was air in, as if there was a vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had it on a few cars this one included. Don't think it's anything to worry about.

Is the rush of air in or out?
Light a match and see if it sucks it in or blows it out.

THIS IS A JOKE. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

Reactions: Ozmosis, Chris43, Tom.H and 1 other person
Quite normal with all cars.
Happens much more often when fuel is low in the tank.

Reactions: Leevr
Light a match and see if it sucks it in or blows it out.

THIS IS A JOKE. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

#DarwinAwards

Don't think mine (A3) sucks or blows....

Surely there’s a breather valve to equalise pressure as fuel is removed from the tank?

Not sure, but mine has also only started to do this recently. I've also lately been hearing a gurgling from the tank and this stops when you release the pressure. I'd definitely say it's gas out as there is a strong whiff of petrol when it does it.

Perfectly normal, mine does it every time I fill up. Nothing to worry about