Fuel filler cap won't open

bluemoona3246

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble trying to open their fuel filler cap?

Recently mine has been playing up, so I get to the petrol station then when I go to open the cap it wont open, the only way to open it is to open the boot and pull the red cord then press the cap to open it.

First world problems and all that, don't really want to book it into Audi as it's such a silly thing, does anyone know or is there an existing topic on this matter? I haven't looked properly yet but if anyone can help me, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks and have a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm not saw this before to be honest, I know the flap is locked on the central locking - do you press the global unlock button on the drivers door before hand ?

Just thinking that if you have your keyfob set to unlock drivers door only on one press and a second press to unlock all doors. Not sure without trying at lunchtime at what point the petrol flap becomes unlocked ?

Reactions: Jayden reed
No it's not that - just tried it.

Petrol flap unlocks with drivers door only.

Reactions: TDI-line
This was a common problem on the VW Jetta range...they had a recall on this issue....fix was to sand/file down the parts that mate at point of closure. I suggest you take it to the dealer, as it may require soft deft handiwork.

Reactions: Rob2k68
i might have a similar small problem with mine. Same as you, stop for fuel, get out of the car, all doors unlocked but filler cap wont open, i have to re-press the unlock button on the key. try this. always works so i assume its a feature. no faults via vcds shown. Im not so fussed about it as it always works and seems to not be a problem.

Hmm not saw this before to be honest, I know the flap is locked on the central locking - do you press the global unlock button on the drivers door before hand ?

Just thinking that if you have your keyfob set to unlock drivers door only on one press and a second press to unlock all doors. Not sure without trying at lunchtime at what point the petrol flap becomes unlocked ?

All doors unlock when key is pressed, when you go to try it after it wont open without pulling the cord.

I need to go into my boot to pull the red cord every time I go get fuel. I've been doing this for the past 3 months...
The problem definitely does not go away when I unlock the car or lock and unlock.
When it first happened I searched it up and it's a common problem on the A5 iirc, and the problem is a solenoid of some sort.
I've really not had much time to get to it sorted and pulling the red cord has been working for me in the meantime

Reactions: bluemoona3246 and Rob2k68
Im sorry to go on about this! But i would love to know why i have to press my fob/button twice when the norm is once. Could mine be broken like the above members and there is a 2nd press of the button that enables it to be force unlocked? WOuld love the people above that have broken flaps to, when out of the car filling up, instead of going to the cord to just press the unlock button a few times to check! :)

Have you checked your comfort/car settings in MMI? You can set you fob to open on one press all door or one press drivers door!

Solenoids can stop working, if under warranty, just take it in, if not, then remove trim, grab a meter & test for signals of which they reverse polarity to drive either way, if no signal then its doubtful the solenoid, if it has signal, grab another solenoid.

I had a similar issue on my Renualt, I just pulled the panel away in the boot and sprayed the solenoid with WD40 and it has been fine ever since

Have you checked your comfort/car settings in MMI? You can set you fob to open on one press all door or one press drivers door!

Dont know if the question was aimed at me but fyi mine is set to open all doors. even if set to just open the drivers door then same happens.

Reactions: bluemoona3246, Scottyg and Rob2k68
Solenoids can stop working, if under warranty, just take it in, if not, then remove trim, grab a meter & test for signals of which they reverse polarity to drive either way, if no signal then its doubtful the solenoid, if it has signal, grab another solenoid.

I had a faulty solenoid on my 8P A3 filler cap.

OP only option is take it in, you pay premium price for new(ish) premium car so might as well get your money's worth and use of a courtesy car to thrash for the day

Was in Audi main dealer getting my car serviced and a woman came in who I got chatting to as you do ! Anyway she had the same issue with not opening the fuel filler flap and they had to replace it under warranty. It took about an hour.

I would take it in but I am looking to replace it in the next month with another car

Yes, mine has just had the fuel flap actuator replaced last week because it wasn't opening every time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, mine has just had the fuel flap actuator replaced last week because it wasn't opening every time.

Did you get it replaced under warranty?
Do you know how much the part is by any chance? Or the part number?

Did you get it replaced under warranty?
Do you know how much the part is by any chance? Or the part number?

Yes, it was replaced under warranty. No idea on part number or cost though, but when I mentioned it while dropping the car off for service, the girl on the service desk said straight away that it would be the actuator, so it sounds fairly common.

Guys, this has happened to my 2014 S3, so no warranty.

I have the actuator but I need to buy the surround if anyone has the part number?

needs to be butchered to be removed unfortunately.