Raul_Breganzo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Seeing as I've bought myself an Audi A3 1.6 TDI (8P) on an 11 plate I just wanted to know your thoughts on fuel and/or engine additives!

1- do you use any or simply pay for the pricier fuel?
2- if you do use it, what exactly do you use n how often?
3- any proven benefits?
4- etc

Hi mate I have a 2.0tdi sportback I use shell fuel then once a fortnight I use premuin fuel yes it's extra but it helps to clean out I also take it for a blast on the motorway give it a kicking every now and then.
Hey guys,

Seeing as I've bought myself an Audi A3 1.6 TDI (8P) on an 11 plate I just wanted to know your thoughts on fuel and/or engine additives!

1- do you use any or simply pay for the pricier fuel?
2- if you do use it, what exactly do you use n how often?
3- any proven benefits?
4- etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've owned diesels for many years prior to buying my S3 and I always used Shell fuels in the car.
The engine would feel much smoother and more responsive when compared to other fuels, and logging the mileage and fuel usage showed me that Vpower fuel was more efficient and made the cost at the pump negligible as the cost per mile worked out the same.

The problem with shell is its a rip off. currently 10p a litre more expensive for shell 99 ron than tesco's 99 ron. I expect the diesels the same.

The fact is a car doing average mileage would use £150 more fuel at Shell a year
I bet if shell was the same price as everyone else and you had to pay £150 a year to use their pumps no one would do it but that's what people are inafect doing.

PS..
My Vivaro has just turned 100k miles on the cheapest diesel i could find :) and its always been a lot more reliable than my cosseted, pampered S3 :)

Supermarket derv and JASO FB spec
2 Stroke oil .

At 250ml per tank and buying 5L it's lots cheaper than so called super derv which has no Cetane number disclosure .

2-EHN if you want a bona-fide cetane booster .

The problem with shell is its a rip off. currently 10p a litre more expensive for shell 99 ron than tesco's 99 ron. I expect the diesels the same.

The fact is a car doing average mileage would use £150 more fuel at Shell a year
I bet if shell was the same price as everyone else and you had to pay £150 a year to use their pumps no one would do it but that's what people are inafect doing.
I agree, the Vpower petrol is much dearer than Tesco and I now go out of my way to find a Tesco to fill up the S3, but regular Shell Fuel saver (non premium) diesel is usually price matched to local fuel stations or very close to their price.

If however you have tried supermarket fuel and shell and logged economy and costs and found shell to work out the same (as I have) then you don't spend more per year, you fill up less often and pay the same.

I use Millers Diesel Power Ecomax at double the recommended strength. Have been using it for years in many different diesels cars and it has always made a noticeable difference. Its main ingredient is 2-EHN (Cetane booster) with added lubricants too.

It comes in a bottle that treats about 10 full tanks so at about £12 a bottle (£1.20 / tank) is far cheaper than buying premium diesel.

When i was kid redex was available free at the pumps, you could add a squirt to the tank when you filled up :)...i had no idea they still made it. I cant see the point in any fuel additives given the fuel is full of additives anyway :).

Reactions: S.
Redex is a product I have used, but only when buying a used car and filling it up for the first time as I don't know what cheap crap has been put in the car by the previous owner.
After that I continue to use decent fuel.
I used to use Millers Eco Max in a previous car and although it did make the car run smoother, the bottle design was awful and I was constantly suffering leaks and getting the product down the side of the bottle and in the boot.
For that reason I stopped using it, and didn't really miss it.

Redex is a product I have used, but only when buying a used car and filling it up for the first time as I don't know what cheap **** has been put in the car by the previous owner.
After that I continue to use decent fuel.
I used to use Millers Eco Max in a previous car and although it did make the car run smoother, the bottle design was awful and I was constantly suffering leaks and getting the product down the side of the bottle and in the boot.
For that reason I stopped using it, and didn't really miss it.

Yes, since I've just bought a new 2nd hand Audi I thought about doing the same, Redex for the first 2 full tanks...

So no one uses Redex diesel system cleaner???
Yep - I buy a couple of 2 shot bottles when Tesco reduce it to just £2 every now and then. I use it every now and then with normal diesel. never had a DPF/EGR problem and get fantastic MPG from by car with 90k on the clock. Some people are happier using "reassuringly expensive fuel and additives" - it's a free World :congratulatory: