Fuel economy

wideboybloke

Reaction score
There have been a few threads about fuel economy and it seems that different owners can get varying consumption figures from the same engine. Mine is the 2.0 tfsi 190 PS.

The demonstrator I drove with this engine had covered 3000 miles and the long term memory showed 37 mpg, so that was my benchmark. Sure enough, my consumption was a constant 37 mpg - until just recently when it has crept up to 39 mpg. I have now covered 6,500 miles.

When I took delivery, the salesman said that the economy would improve as the engine beds in, but I took that with a pinch of salt. However, I'm delighted to say that he was right. I check the consumption after each tankful and I check the long term memory from time to time. At the moment it's showing 39.8 mpg.

I think that is very impressive for an engine of this capacity and power output. It only increases my love for the car!

Reactions: DieselJake
Yep pretty happy with mine too for a petrol!
I actually found my car did better than I expected on a largely single carriageway run than my usual motorway trip - where I was getting ~45mpg on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never sure about engines 'bedding in', and it could be just that the ambient temperatures have risen. But if you're happy that's all that counts. I am finding that my long journey mpg is about the same as my 2.0l diesel was but around town it is less, but that's to be expected with much of that due to the stronic gearbox versus a manual...

also have the 2.0 tfsi 190 only with a manual box.
3300 miles in and average over 10 tanks is circa 36mpg... last 2 tanks 38mpg warmer weather
get mid 40's on some journeys
the thing i find is the DIS range on a full tank reads 530, however need to fill up around 340 with 80 miles range (420 miles). ..
i want to know where is the missing 100 miles :)

8 months and just under 3000 miles in.
Long term memory since day one is 42.5mpg.
No motorways or duel carriageways around here, so mainly local driving.
Happy with that.

Just on 2 months and 1k miles in, and my long term Dis is showing 38.2. I've done 2 long trips from Huntingdon to Gloucester and Heathrow, the Dis on each of the 4 legs showed just above 42mpg, so I'm very happy with that. I did a bit of experimenting prior to the long runs regarding the effectiveness of the Intelligent Coasting and the Economy Mode on Drive Select. I found that the economy was better by 1 to 2 mpg over the same journey with IC switched off and that the "economy setting" was worse than comfort by nearly 3mpg; probably because it needs so much throttle to get anything to happen and it really spoils the driving experience. Definately better mpg with economy and IC switched off.
Just to add. The ride on my 19" wheels with the adaptive sports dampers in Comfort is excellent and the car is probably one of the quietest cars I've owned, and I've had loads over 47 years driving. Coming off many years of SUV ownership, most recently 2 Q3s and a Q5, overall, the A4 has exceeded all my expectations so far!

Reactions: cuke2u
MPG is in my signature. Dis says 34MPG (but was reset about 600 miles ago)
3600 miles over 7 months but I do ALOT of short / town driving.

Its about the same as what my B7 2.0 TDI was getting with all my short journeys.

But hey, I didn't get a petrol for the mpgs :blackrs4:

I got this today and was ecstatic! Wife taking photo but was sleeping when it made it to the blistering 36.9mpg!!
e9d8b9bb8a88992ba68266ace504409b.jpg

Managed to achieve this today in my 3.0tdi (218) Sport Avant. Had it almost 2 weeks now, really impressed with the level of economy, coupled with the performance as well
afd20f0401a703984eb4c5c19748ffdd.jpg

Doesn't sound too far off what I experienced with the same engine in the A3, it's good...

y4mQaaki16qH1_MosHM-iT2E0EXX8386HbbqtBUKcICCzUxLsZDeYtkIiQdZokpnQYiMNgPOmlDEoAiGCX6B_jCE7dormvT5BPvMTXvYmDrz_aGLxnIxmtzz_Wi_GdsOVAtK9GBOnNNrp_hUJmETQuK6hKWjOD6LLwyRxd17kMgbn6Cs9YtYdsuh5Hg0E0cKlbSk1GlO75qqz7vpw5xk9iMtQ

Got this last night on my way home from Heathrow Airport, it was sitting around 37.8 until I had a little blat just before home :racer:

M25 had lots of 70 => 60 => 50 => 40 zones where they shut 3 lanes for some unknown reason. A12 had some roadworks but without speed restrictions.

Not too bad for an :s4addict:

Reactions: Car_Allowance, Rocksteve69 and Daggerit
My current 2015 330d is only doing 32mpg I'm hoping my 2.0 TFSI can be something similar when I get it.

I've had my Allroad 3.0TDI 218 for about 5 weeks and 1400 miles now. I made 54mpg on a 160 mile round trip. I am really impressed with this and expect it to improve further. I am surprised that it is significantly better than the Mk7 GTD DSG I had before.

It really depends on your driving style and mood.
On sunday coming back from WaxStock it was saying mid to late 20's, but after an 19 hour day with only 4 hours sleep the night before having had a skin full, the relaxed cruise controlled drive back from the airport suited me well, and clearly suited the fuel economy!

Reactions: Gary_LB
Got this on a nice short sunny motorway cruise with an already warmed up engine - I think this is ****** good for a car this size with quattro;

IMG 0838

As you can see with the Traffic Jam Assist, it went south pretty quick after this!

Reactions: Feyim
A few weeks ago I had a series of consecutive motorway drives, in different directions as we live near the confluence of more than one m-way. Each drive was of the order of 200-250 miles and I refuelled to brim full after each. The consumption was 44 in every case, which I am more than happy with. My driving style is a constant 80 mph with occasional forays into the 90s to lose annoying other drivers. Now there's another subject...

How on earth?

4 miles home to motorway, booted up slip road , M6 to Stoke was slow morning traffic and about 8 miles into Biddulph, yes it was a slow journey, a few more miles and it would have cracked 40.
Radio 2 :redface new: used to listen to BFBS but they have gone off DAB now.

Car has averaged 25 since new so far, more than happy. I promise to put my foot down :racer:

My average is half that taz you must be doing it wrong lol

I know, it's embarrassing, I'm too cautious these days, getting older does that, I need to take it for a blast over from Penrith to Alston and onto Newcastle and see what I get up there.

Got this from Dover to west London.Decent economy.
64.2 mpg and 56.5 mph average 1.4 tfsi Avant manual
Untitled

Reactions: cuke2u
I completed a 400 mile round trip in my S4 last week, 90% motorway and sticking to the speed limit. Onboard computer was showing 43mpg, measured 36mpg using the full-to-full method at the petrol station.

Reactions: Keef
I managed 34mpg on my S4 last week driving to warrick castle. Car had 800miles on it now and believe me it was very hard to drive like miss daisy.

I think I'll stick to driving it like I stole it ! Let's face it it's only a few pounds on the tank anyways

Reactions: gone
Got this last night on a calm ride around M40 and than M4. Just wanted to see achievable mpg.Impressive
Update:Avant 1.4 tfsi
Rsz mpg

Reactions: cuke2u and maui
That's really good! I doubt mine will get near that... :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Feyim and Keef
@Daggerit not long now mate!

I did over 500 miles last week down to Cornwall and back. Got a tad carried away with the pedal so ended up with an average of 31mpg overall. Still decent I think and it only took me 4 hours to get there.

Reactions: Daggerit
@Keef Tell me about it. Don't think that I'll be sleeping all that well the next couple of nights! Haha.

I'm currently doing about 300-400 miles a week and have a long trip down to near Manchester from Aberdeen next week so that'll give me a chance to play with the car plenty and also to see what kind of mpg I can get. Albeit with a new and tight engine. :)

I used to obtain that figure easily with my A3 saloon but impressive that the engine can do it with a larger and heavier car..