Fuel Duty Increase at Midnight tonight.

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've just seen on the internet that fuel duty is going up by 1.25p per litre from midnight tonight so if you are low on fuel, fill-up on the way home !

Do people actually do this ??
Even if your A3 tank (55 litres) is bone dry,you're only going to save yourself 69 pence !!!!

bowfer said:
Even if your A3 tank (55 litres) is bone dry,you're only going to save yourself 69 pence !!!!

lol better you getting it then the tax man

bowfer said:
Thats a Kit Kat at petrol station prices.

Well, I genuinely need to fill up on the way back from work tonight, but now everybodys going to think I'm a tight wad!! :sm4:

Castro said:
Thats a Kit Kat at petrol station prices.

I've heard stories about men who enjoy four fingers inside them at a petrol station,but I thought it was an urban myth.

bowfer said:

Have to confess, when u put it that way it does sound ludicrous. However I needed to fill up before Friday so did it lunchtime. Was nice to know that we are getting stiffed again anyway - suspect the Government would rather it were kept quiet, though I have to say there were queues at the pumps which is unusual. There must be a load of tight wads around here!

Should this not be major news? I haven't seen or heard anything. They give enough exposure to the mundane couldn't care less stuff from parliament. Maybe I should actually watch the news....

I was surprised it wasn't bigger news to be honest. Anyway, I certainly won't be bothering to go and fill up. I've still got just over a quarter of a tank left, so doubt I'd even save 50p by filling it up tonight.

well i dont look at the price. gotta buy it, always have the higher octane stuff, dont like to think about the robbing bar*tard country too much! we used to call a girl at school kitkat :laugh: she liked 4 fingers too!

SteveS said:
as in chicken fingers or bargain bucket?

Presumably, finger licking good!

This tax hike is just taking advantage of the reduced oil prices of late IMO. A few months ago we were all paying about a pound a litre for diesel and 98p for petrol. I think our esteemed chancellor is taking the p!ss.:mad:

Remember the days when diesel was only 1p per litre more than unleaded? Why has the gap widened so much? Is it because more people buy diesel now? Economics was never one of my favourite subjects at school.

Good old UK imperial gallons obviously! ;)

As for the price difference, I remember when diesel was 20p cheaper than unleaded! I think the prices now are simply profiteering - as I far as I can tell diesel is cheaper to manufacture (less refining required) and cheaper to store and transport (because it's safer) than petrol. You couldn't make it up, cliché cliché cliché etc.

The official reason for the price gap this time of year is that Diesel is in demand, what with winter on its way etc. Diesel, or something very similar, is also used as heating fuel in houses and factorys.

Not sure I believe that though!

Hasn't it always been used for that though? Why the sharp increases over the last few years?

Personally I think one of the reasons diesel is more expensive that petrol is that a high percentage of diesel pwered cars are company cars where the driver does not pay for the fuel out of his own pocket and cares a little less about the price.

What I do know is that, in continental Europe, diesel is much cheaper that petrol. For example petrol in Germany is 83p/litre compared with diesel 75p - in France it's 79p and 71p and in Austria 0.71 and 0.67p. In each of these countries I understand far less people have company cars. I also believe that their Governments regard diesel as a less environmentally harmful fuel and tax it less.

Assuming they use fuel cards,companies pay less than high street prices for their fuel,diesel or petrol.
So you may find most company car drivers don't have a clue how much the fuel costs,unless their accounts department/fleet manager tells them.

if there is to be a '4x4 tax for gas guzzling cars, will we have to pay it in our v6/v8 quattros? cause thats what they are. or will they be too stupid to know cause it does'nt look like a rangerover?

SteveS said:
if there is to be a '4x4 tax for gas guzzling cars, will we have to pay it in our v6/v8 quattros? cause thats what they are. or will they be too stupid to know cause it does'nt look like a rangerover?

I really object to the fact that 4x4 vehicles are being targetted by the press,don't you ?

The fact a car is 4x4 has no relevance to whether it's a polluter or not.

For example,you could be driving a Honda 4x4 (CRV) with the diesel engine,with a CO2 rating of 153 (very low).
Or an A3 quattro diesel with a CO2 rating of 159.

Meanwhile,the bloke sitting next to you,in the 2wd Jag/Merc/Audi/BMW,will be producing infinitely more pollution.

The fairest way is by CO2 rating,as it is now.
The number of wheels driven is completely irrelevant !

It would be completely ineffective too.
All the likes of Range Rover would do is come out with a 2wd version !
Same polluting engine though.

The "4x4" tag is simply because of the myth that it is only these vehicles that pollute our air due to their huge 4.8 litre V8s. However, it will all be down to emissions output, rather than having four wheel drive. My 3.2 would be clobbered no doubt, especially with the proposed hike in the London congestion charge to £25 from £8 per day as it is 257g/km which is over the 225g/km threshold. But then a 2.0 Mondeo automatic estate will be done too (229) as will a 2.3 2WD Ford Galaxy for larger families (264). However, the new S3 is only 217 so relatively clean!

Use this site to check a car's output.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp

RobB said:
The "4x4" tag is simply because of the myth that it is only these vehicles that pollute our air due to their huge 4.8 litre V8s. However, it will all be down to emissions output, rather than having four wheel drive.

I hope you're right,as it's the fairest way.
However,seeing as 'The Sun' practically dictates government policy,and they're one of the papers using the '4x4' tag,who knows...

I used to get people asking me about the '4x4' tax when I used to use my wife's humble Honda HRV.
When I told them it had a 1600cc engine they were always surprised !

They were ****** glad of it when we had bad snow up here though,and I was acting as a taxi service !

:)

Quote from Transport for London website, where the 4x4 (aka Chelsea tractors) argument seems to appear daily in the press :

Emissions Influenced Charging:-

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, has announced that he will take forward the policy of introducing Emissions Influenced Charging to the Congestion Charge Scheme.

The proposals, to be consulted upon, would be influenced by VED band and could see vehicles emitting the highest levels of CO2 pay £25 to enter the Congestion Charging Zone, with vehicles which meet Euro IV standards and emit the lowest levels of CO2 qualifying for a 100% discount. Other vehicles would continue to be liable to pay the current charge of £8.

I am sure similar principles will apply nationally at some point in the future.