Fuel Consumption on 3.2Q

MateloT

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of experimentation with fuel consumption since getting my 3.2Q Sline. Heres what i've found.

All recorded over around 100miles with 80mph ish average speed on a motorway.

Shell Optimax 30.0mpg
Texaco Super Unleaded and BP Ultimate Unleaded 27.6mpg
Stanard 95ron Unleaded 25.4mpg

Anyone else noticed similar results? is Super Unleaded/BP Ultimate 98ron? Is Shell Optimax 98ron?

I would say I got a maximum of 2mpg difference, in favor of Optimax, compared with standard 95ron
however 30mpg is very rare
only once did I get 33mpg but it was over 80miles of slow motorway traffic at around 50/60mph in 6th.
average for the last 10 months and 4500 miles I got 24.5mpg that's for a mix between motorway, town and heavy right foot driving(/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif)

10 months for 4500 miles!?!?? i've had mine 3 weeks now, already on 3000 miles...just cant leave it alone :)

It can vary wildley as main garages tend to use a slightly higher ron fuel than supermarket garages as the fuel tends to stand longer and deteriates more normally u end up with around 96/97 ron by the time you pump it so you will get a better performance from a high street garage that has just had its fuel delivery than any were else. Might explain why you would got better performance from shell than any were else.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Averaged mine at about 26/27 on a motorway run. I wouldnt bother using 95 ron since the performance (and economy) of the engine wouldnt be as good... then again Optimax is darn expensive!

Yer, paying 95p/litre for optimax atm. Well, work is, i'm lucky enough to have an agency card for business + private fuel. Well, that is until my boss sees the fuel bill this month :)

95 ron is false economy on high performance engines. I definately get better MPG with optimax.

I noticed the S3 handbook says you can use either whereas the V6 says says 98ron only - i think it would be crazy to run a high performance car on 95 Ron !

Lower fuel octane means less resistance to heat and pressure.

By using a lower octane on advanced cars you actually burn more fuel and get lower performance as the fuel is being ignited prematurely.