Fuel cap stuck, not opening

kashcheema

Reaction score
Hi all, the fuel cap on my A6 C7 2014 is stuck and does not open with the central locking. The red pulley in the boot isn’t there (I suspect the previous owner snapped it). I think the actuator is gone. Before going to a private garage; who can fix it as it’s common problem with these cars apparently, (Audi have weeks of delay) is there anything I can try to release the bl@@dy thing!

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were expecting to find the red emergency pull in plain view, it’s actually behind the trim. It’s on a longish cable so might be tucked further forward than you expect.

If it is the same issue others including myself have had then pulling the red cord will do nothing. The problem is with the actuator (the locking mechanism) and the only option is to carefully force the flap open. You will then need to get someone (or do it yourself) to replace the actuator mechanism. Had the problem on both my 2012 and 2015 cars,

If you were expecting to find the red emergency pull in plain view, it’s actually behind the trim. It’s on a longish cable so might be tucked further forward than you expect.

Found the pulley, pulled hard on it and nothing!

If it is the same issue others including myself have had then pulling the red cord will do nothing. The problem is with the actuator (the locking mechanism) and the only option is to carefully force the flap open. You will then need to get someone (or do it yourself) to replace the actuator mechanism. Had the problem on both my 2012 and 2015 cars,

I read it’s the actuator correct. How much did it cost for it to be fixed if you did get it done by a garage?

Hmmmm. It failed on my 2012 Avant, actually the first time I wanted to fill up after I bought it (second-hand). Fixed under warranty. The pull cord did work for me. I had to pull it VERY hard.

mine was exactly the same last weekend..

unlocked the car and push the fuel flap as you would, you'll notice you can pull a corner of it a little more even if it doesn't open, then with a little tug it will pop open.

WD40 helped and I just kept pushing it in and out for a while and now a week later I've had no issues.

I read it’s the actuator correct. How much did it cost for it to be fixed if you did get it done by a garage?

Fortunately in both occasions it was under warranty. Had hope it had been sorted for the c8 but have already heard of one incident so seems not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can get behind the trim ok you maybe able to unbolt & slide it out of place to release the flap, temporary until you have another to replace.

Whereabouts are you located?

If you can get behind the trim ok you maybe able to unbolt & slide it out of place to release the flap, temporary until you have another to replace.

Whereabouts are you located?

I’m in Bexleyheath, south east London. I’ve tried everything I possibly can. Will probably take it to a local garage to fix

WhatsApp me mate as got other jobs coming up to do in your area.

Thanks to Nigel my fuel flap is now fixed. Recommend Nigel, good service and good communication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk