Fuel and warning triangle.

neiloneilo

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
My first tank of fuel lasted me exactly 1 week! The fuel gauge showed 1/8 full, the trip showed I had 30miles of fuel left in the tank. I was a 1.5 miles away from the petrol station, pulling off the motorway and the engine stalled. I dipped the clutch and coasted as far as I could. Being on the hard sholder of a blind bend, I put out the warning traingle (which someone stole before I went back for it!!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

Has anyone else needed their fuel gauge recalibrating? (i.e. is this a common problem?)
Does any-one have a spare triangle or know where I can get one from?
Is there any strong feelings about which fuel is best? (ie Shells Optimax?)

Regarding the fuel there are a few posts on the subject its best to do a search.Some people have contacted shell,BP to find out the octane values etc.I personally have found that BP give me the best MPG.Audi is the best bet for the triangle but you may pick one up on ebay.

[ QUOTE ]
Black S3 said:
My first tank of fuel lasted me exactly 1 week! The fuel gauge showed 1/8 full, the trip showed I had 30miles of fuel left in the tank. I was a 1.5 miles away from the petrol station, pulling off the motorway and the engine stalled. I dipped the clutch and coasted as far as I could. Being on the hard sholder of a blind bend, I put out the warning traingle (which someone stole before I went back for it!!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

Has anyone else needed their fuel gauge recalibrating? (i.e. is this a common problem?)
Does any-one have a spare triangle or know where I can get one from?
Is there any strong feelings about which fuel is best? (ie Shells Optimax?)

Can't say this is 'scientific' but it's what I did yesterday:

Car empty (having had one full tank of 95 RON Optimax), filled it up with the same and set off from Bournemouth to Redhill. Return journey of just under 200 miles along mostly dual carrige A roads (A31/A35) and M25. Speed varried, I wasn't pushing it, and never over 90 mph (mostly sat at 85 mph on cruise control) - Average MPG was 36.2, journey time one-way, 1hr 50 mins inc compulsory diet coke break mid way!

I was really impressed with this return of 36.2 mpg and will try it out on my next distance run.

Best advice - try it and see!

As for your triangle - it might have blown away in the wind or lorry turberlance (I hate to think there's a sad muppet out there who actually stops on motorways to knick these things!).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif