FSI - poor fuel consumption

niggtv

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought an A4 Avant 2.0 FSI. I'm really pleased with it, but am not sure it's anywhere near as economical as it should be. I don't do that many miles, but specifically bought this as my 'daily' runabout - whilst it's much better than my other car in terms of fuel, it's way off the manufacturer's figures. The FSI seemed like a good compromise; reasonable fuel consumption without the indignity ;) of a diesel.

Over christmas I did a 150 mile motorway drive at 70-80 mph. I realise this isn't the most economical speed (and it was very windy), but even so, the computer recorded 27.5mpg. This is a long way off the 50mpg extra urban, and even at 80 mph I was expecting 30-35 mpg.

It had new coilpacks last week (recall) and I plugged in the OBDII yesterday - no errors recorded. I don't want to start changing things for the sake of it, so can anyone suggest whether it shoud be better than this, or a likely fault? If it's really going to do this sort of mpg, I may aswell have got the A3 TFSI Quattro that I was also looking at!

Any help much appreciated. Sorry, not a very exciting thread....!

did you measure/calculate the actual mpg? has it got standard wheels/tyres on it?

did you measure/calculate the actual mpg? has it got standard wheels/tyres on it?

Ah, no - just relied on the fuel computer....was that wrong?

It's got S-line wheels with 235/40/18 (came with SE wheels with 205/55/16, which is 2% rolling circumference different).