Frozen S3 inside...

Reaction score
I thought I'd post up a few pics of my little brother's S3, a nice silver APY engined car that he loves to bits, he even calls it his 'first wife' much to the dismay of his missus...

Every morning, he starts his car up, pulls it out from the garage (where my dad operates his business from) and parks his car in the street. Every evening after work, he starts the car up again and parks it back in the garage, tucked away safely.

This morning, the beast wouldn't start. Liquid Guage showed no errors, everything seemed fine. Pulling the spark plugs out showed that they were a little damp. Every time you start the car, it would almost fire up but then die immediately, we were confused as to what it could be. The only clue being a hissing noise coming from the rear of the car.

On closer examination, the hissing noise was coming from the rear join of the exhaust, so we decided to take it off and we were left with this sight:

IcedupexhaustS32.jpg

IcedupexhaustS33.jpg

IcedupexhaustS34.jpg

It seems that the lack of bringing the car to normal temps allowed the condensation to pool up, freeze and completely block the pipe up (this is the pipe that is directly under the rear diff, the squashed up looking one) .

The moral of the story is, if your not using your car often, when you do decide to fire it up, take it for a good blast, blow away the cobwebs and keep your S3 happy!

Just tell her to take it for a quick 'drive it like you stole it' run instead - she can park it up how she pleases afterwards - it'll be plenty hot enough lol :p

I think I might just take my brothers car out ocassionally to 'warm it up'...

Just tell her to take it for a quick 'drive it like you stole it' run instead - she can park it up how she pleases afterwards - it'll be plenty hot enough lol :p

I think I might just take my brothers car out ocassionally to 'warm it up'...

yeah drive it like you stole it on icy roads....

Surely thats just common sense...

Its really not good for the engine continually starting it and moving it a few feet.

Wont be a problem if you do it now and then, but twice a day every day is just retarded.

It get's used more often normally but as my brother works in the retail sector, he works some silly long hours during the Christmas period - he comes home and parks his car up as he is normally cream crackered.

Working 60+ hours a week in the last few weeks coupled with the current cold weather was the result.