Frozen Door this Morning

chrisrobsa3

Reaction score
Hello,

I came to go to work this morning in the Sunny climate of Yorkshire and found the driver's door had frozen. When I got it open it had ice down the inside of the top rubber seal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Should I expect this or ring the Audi garage, I have only had the car since April and unfortunately have to park on the road.

Cheers,

Chris

Same here mate!
Mine is the old model. I think it was just exceptionally cold last night!

use vaseline and when opening the door dont pull it too hard, you will pull the handle off and damage these seals, use cold water and melt the ice gently!

No, I wouldn't accept that, some car makers (Opel.. köhköh) have this kind of problems, but I wouldn't take it from Audi or any other premium market.

Even if you can fix it with vaseline, it's still dealer's problem to make it work, or replace those gummyinsulates.

- Yak

28v6, then how cold should I wait it to get? It's only -8C atm, but can't remember door freezing last winter when it was about -30C.

Only car I've had which had problems with freezing doors was old 4wd Mitsubishi Lancer, I had to use backdoors to get in (but otherwise it worked perfectly).

Anyway, if my doors freeze, I'll take it to dealer and say it's not acceptable. Seriously, if my doors are frozen 4-6 months a year, how on earth could I think it's a premium car? So this time I'm afraid, you're wrong.

- Yak

My year old Merc. suffered the same on Friday morning. Hadn't put it in the garage and it took a good tug to get the door open. Was a particularly cold night though (Manchester) when got to work, the water droplets on the bonnet were still frozen!

What I would like to know is what happens in the far north of Europe? Do your cars have different seals, or preparations to UK models?

Gadgeteer, isn't that what we're wondering?-) Anyway, no frozing doors tonight either. Then again, it's not too cold outside, it's been snowing 20-30cm today, so temperature is just a bit below 0C.

Anyway, could be that there are different seals with some manufacturers, but I wonder if that's economically viable. As to other preparations and equipments, there's difference, with higher output battery & loader, some heated parts are default (like seats and waterspruiters (..)). And of course tyres are different.

Anyway, have no idea about the seals, but it's not common that they froze, so maybe they're different.

- Yak

lol me too and me alarms playin up and im having to disconnect battery at night and unlock the car with a key, spent half an hour looking for the missus's hair dryer and extension lead to de-ice me door lock lol.

neighbours must think i was mad, but it worked, give the windscreen a once over too!!

..eeh, what?-) If you want to protect your locks, there's anti-freeze-lubricate to prevent that. As for ice, .. hairdryer?-) You're going to kill your windscreen, it'll just go to pieces, if the temp. difference is too big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So yeah.. you're mad. Anyway, why not use a piece of plastic to scrap that windshield?-) Faster and easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

Yak, yes, your cars must be better prepared for a winter than a UK spec car might be - and must be a far different beast for one destined for the southern Mediteranean, or Middle East. I suppose someone somewhere might put the time n and check the part no's on door seals and find out if they are different.

Trouble with the UK is we always get caught out. One snowfall brings most of the country to a halt because we weren't expecting it. If we knew it was going to always be that cold, we could use a car cover or something, but 9 out of 10 nights it won't get that cold, so we always end up caught on the hop.

(Better not let rail companies know, or we'll have wrong sort of cold for door seals in place of wrong kind of leaves/snow)

Rev-head, unfortunately I don't have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. My parents have one, so that's where I can melt my car few times every winter (since the snow packs around the wheels and frozes, so I must melt that away, unless I want damage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

So, nah. A good snow brush and a piece of plastic will save the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak