Front wipers

Reaction score
My front wiper on the drivers side stops short from the screen pillar (about 4-5"), but should stop closer (about 1.5")i've tried unbolting the arm and moving it up but to get it to go up to where it should be when its in park position its too far up and stops about 4-5" above the dashboard.Ive also tried swaping the arms over from side to side and swaping them off another car (which stops in the correct postition) but they still dont work properly. Is there any adjustment on the wiper mechanism or is it knackered , If it makes any difference i have a facelift scuttle trim fitted ??

if you get the park sorted i throughly recommend aero wipers the original type comes complete with the arm, worth noting when parked the sit a lot lower then the standard ones, much cleaner look both inside and out.

If you flip the wipers up do they still not park correctly?
Common problem is one of them could be starting to seize up. Ususally due to a badly refitted scuttle when the windscreen has been replaced in the past. Water gets onto the rotating bits and the motor struggles to turn them. Just a thought.

Worn crank arm on the mechanism.

Replace the lot, and all will be well.

has it always been like this? ive noticed with my facelift that the arms are almost straight but blades fit at a slight angle, my prefacelift have a kink in the arms, on both cars the drivers wiper blade has a similiar rest position but top part off pre facelift wiper stops about 1/2 " from pillar, facelift about 3-4".
will try swapping arms and see if its the same

What do the aero wipers look like ??. I noticed the wiper problem when i fitted the facelift scuttle trim but to be honest they were probably like it before hand,fortunatly i have a spare a4 so i think i will swap the wiper mecs over,is it much of ajob to do ??

Aero wipers look like this on a B5:

Photo021.jpg

Photo022.jpg

31012008172.jpg

Bear in mind, these are B7 arms and blades. The arms have massive mounting holes, so I had tapered metal collars made, to adapt them to the B5's much smaller shafts.

I looked into the Vagparts kit - Passat B5.5 items, but I didn't like the blade-to-arm attachment.

The B7 set-up has an under-the-arm fitting, so there is no movement at all, and takes a lot longer to get play in the fitting points.