RedRS3Reilly

Reaction score
I've currently got 500hp running through the front wheels only :(
Haldex pump has packed in!!!
Pretty scary doing wheel spins in 1,2,3,4th gear
Ordered a haldex repair kit, hoping that sorts the problem

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MikeParkin, Rumpelkillskins and 1 other person
Bad luck to hear that.
Interesting though that with the Haldex working OK quite lot of power is being shuffled to the rear wheels.

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly
Yes, haldex system certainly does an important job

Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv and Rob2k68

You must be doing front wheel burn outs !!! 280bhp Cupra's are bad enough.

What does this repair kit consist of ?, not heard of that before.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and pburv
How did the filter get blocked? Is this something we should be having checked out?

Reactions: Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo

Best luck!
500 ps really deserves awd...

Also curious about the repair kit.
Where did you get it and what does it consist of?

Reactions: Rob2k68
I also would like to know how much a repair kit costs and where you can buy it? Here in germany a lot of S3s have this failure with the haldex pump and need to order a new haldex. Audi knows the problem and also has a TPI number for that.

When I saw this thread title my initial thought was this was a cheaper option Audi had introduced!

Reactions: Forbzeeee, Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo
When I saw this thread title my initial thought was this was a cheaper option Audi had introduced!

Since both Seat and Vw now has it (fwd with 290 hp), why wouldn't Audi as well... ;)

No, the filter on the pump was blocked and then led to pump failure :(

Good to hear it's something relatively straightforward.

Overall the Haldex is pretty reliable,and some rallycross guys were using it a few yrs ago on cars running at least the same power as yours and mine.

So far......(and this no doubt is asking for it!)....mine has been serviced regularly,and still seems OK with it's share of 540lbs from the engine,so i hope yours will continue the same way after the fix.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo
Good to hear it's something relatively straightforward.

Overall the Haldex is pretty reliable,and some rallycross guys were using it a few yrs ago on cars running at least the same power as yours and mine.

So far......(and this no doubt is asking for it!)....mine has been serviced regularly,and still seems OK with it's share of 540lbs from the engine,so i hope yours will continue the same way after the fix.
Ever thought about getting an 8v S3 Alex?
Just wondering what 'magic' you could get out of it..:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68, S3Alex and S3 Turbo
Ever thought about getting an 8v S3 Alex?
Just wondering what 'magic' you could get out of it..:friends:

Still too busy extracting more from this old rascal!

If I blow it up entirely though.....:scared2:

Reactions: Rob2k68, S3 Turbo and pburv
Still too busy extracting more from this old rascal!

If I blow it up entirely though.....:scared2:
Jeez! I hope not...Would be such a shame...lol

Reactions: S3Alex, Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo
Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
I also would like to know how much a repair kit costs and where you can buy it? Here in germany a lot of S3s have this failure with the haldex pump and need to order a new haldex. Audi knows the problem and also has a TPI number for that.
The repair kit is basically a new pump which also has a new filter on it and I bought 1lr of haldex oil, the cost is uk £257.00 from Audi.
Very easy to change over

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo
So old pump tested using vcds, was squeeling and seizing even after removed and filter cleaned,
New pump fitted, fresh oil, vcds test and pump working away nicely, while under the car, the haldex coupling or (donut)as some folk call it was broke so had to cut off, the metal that's bonded to the rubber had failed so grinder out and cut a line at the bottom, then spun it round to cut another line then remove it in two halves(see pic) this part is a counter balance so no launches until a new one is fitted!!
Road test and still 2wd, :(
Propshaft is fecked :(
£1648 for a new fitted propshaft from Audi, but they can't get one as no uk stock and none from Germany, back order, so not an option :(
Sourced a low mileage used one, £600
Getting fitted next week.
What a ball ache!!!!!!
So found out why the prop broke, this is important to all s3 owners with dsg who like to launch their cars, both tuned cars & stock cars, there is a dog bone mount that needs uprated to reduce engine movement when launching, without this it's a certainty before the prop snaps.
I've been unfortunate to not have the dog bone mount fitted, it's cheap to do, around the £45 mark, so save yourself a big bill and get one fitted asap if you like to launch.
There's suite a few that are available eg: Vw racing, 034 motor sport.
Will update next week when the new prop and mount is fitted.

Reactions: Terminator x, pburv, Rob2k68 and 2 others
View attachment 106007 View attachment 106005
So old pump tested using vcds, was squeeling and seizing even after removed and filter cleaned,
New pump fitted, fresh oil, vcds test and pump working away nicely, while under the car, the haldex coupling or (donut)as some folk call it was broke so had to cut off, the metal that's bonded to the rubber had failed so grinder out and cut a line at the bottom, then spun it round to cut another line then remove it in two halves(see pic) this part is a counter balance so no launches until a new one is fitted!!
£1648 for a new fitted propshaft from Audi, but they can't get one as no uk stock and none from Germany, back order, so not an option :(
What a ball ache!!!!!!
So found out why the prop broke, this is important to all s3 owners with dsg who like to launch their cars, both tuned cars & stock cars, there is a dog bone mount that needs uprated to reduce engine movement when launching, without this it's a certainty before the prop snaps.
I've been unfortunate to not have the dog bone mount fitted, it's cheap to do, around the £45 mark, so save yourself a big bill and get one fitted asap if you like to launch.
Will update next week when the new prop and mount is fitted.View attachment 106005

Thanks for sharing this info in the middle of all mess!

Really a shame if the oem dogbone mount is so sub par...

The 034 insert has good reviews, but a bit messy if still under warranty...
(Guess you're effectively out of that now... :d)

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly, pburv and Rob2k68
View attachment 106007 View attachment 106005
What a ball ache!!!!!!
Will update next week when the new prop and mount is fitted.View attachment 106005

Sorry to hear this matey sounds like a right pain in the butt !!

As above thanks for sharing. Surprised how spindly the prop looks.

Would you mind posting how to test the haldex in VCDS as I wouldn't mind doing this myself ?

I've got the 034 dogbone mount on and have noticed decent improvements from it. Noticed also that they do inserts for the rear subframe- wonder if it's worth fitting these also ?

Reactions: S3 Turbo and pburv
Sorry to hear this matey sounds like a right pain in the butt !!

As above thanks for sharing. Surprised how spindly the prop looks.

Would you mind posting how to test the haldex in VCDS as I wouldn't mind doing this myself ?

I've got the 034 dogbone mount on and have noticed decent improvements from it. Noticed also that they do inserts for the rear subframe- wonder if it's worth fitting these also ?
The 'lemon' I bought from Shrewsbury Audi (A3 2.0t Black Edition Quattro) had amongst other things the whole prop shaft replaced under warranty at my local dealership and the total including fitting came to over £2000.........Glad it was done under warranty......Pheeew!
Sorry to hear of your troubles Red.....Hope you get it resolved soon with as little cost as possible....:friends:

Reactions: S3 Turbo, RedRS3Reilly and Rob2k68
Thanks for sharing this info in the middle of all mess!

Really a shame if the oem dogbone mount is so sub par...

The 034 insert has good reviews, but a bit messy if still under warranty...
(Guess you're effectively out of that now... :d)
Yes no warranty on any drivetrain parts, already checked before spending any £££

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
The 'lemon' I bought from Shrewsbury Audi (A3 2.0t Black Edition Quattro) had amongst other things the whole prop shaft replaced under warranty at my local dealership and the total including fitting came to over £2000.........Glad it was done under warranty......Pheeew!
Sorry to hear of your troubles Red.....Hope you get it resolved soon with as little cost as possible....:friends:
Thanks
Will all be fixed for mon or tue :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv, S3 Turbo and 1 other person
This is the 034 dogbone insert that reduces engine rock, therefore creating less stress and movement to the propshaft, simple and inexpensive, sometimes youve got to wonder why Audi design engineers get away with designing cars with weak spots!!!
This is a picture of underneath the car where the insert will be fitted and a pic of the insert that's needed to fill the large void.

But you have to check before which Version you need from 034. There are two different versions.

Mqb dogbone insert version 1 2 fitment guide visual 1

But you have to check before which Version you need from 034. There are two different versions.

View attachment 106221

Typically V1 is S3 and V2 Golf but well worth checking beforehand as you say.

Set you phone to video with the flash on then place it on a strip of cardboard and slide the phone under the car aiming it at the area where the mount is - the flash/torch helps with this. Simples !!

Reactions: S.

View attachment 106221
Already checked
Typically V1 is S3 and V2 Golf but well worth checking beforehand as you say.

Set you phone to video with the flash on then place it on a strip of cardboard and slide the phone under the car aiming it at the area where the mount is - the flash/torch helps with this. Simples !!

I did it the hard way and jacked the car up at the front them slid underneath :(

I am from germany. Is the only way to order it from the US or is there also a way to buy it in the UK?

The repair kit is basically a new pump which also has a new filter on it and I bought 1lr of haldex oil, the cost is uk £257.00 from Audi.
Very easy to change over

Question:
Where would you put it on a difficulty scale?

For instance with following as references:
Changing airbox
Changing downpipe
Changing turbo

Question:
Where would you put it on a difficulty scale?

For instance with following as references:
Changing airbox
Changing downpipe
Changing turbo
The haldex pump is right at the bottom of the car towards the back, probably level with the back wheels and very easy to access, very easy to remove and replace, drain oil from haldex, Unclip the multi plug, unbolt then remove, refit new pump or existing pump if your just cleaning the filter, plug plastic multi plug back in then use a large syringe with small rubber tube attatched to it as the fill up point is on the side of the haldex unit, takes under 1ltr to fill, you know when it's full when the oil starts running back out the fill up point
Pretty straight forward.
Much easiest than your 3 examples :)

Reactions: S3Alex, Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo
The haldex pump is right at the bottom of the car towards the back, probably level with the back wheels and very easy to access, very easy to remove and replace, drain oil from haldex, Unclip the multi plug, unbolt then remove, refit new pump or existing pump if your just cleaning the filter, plug plastic multi plug back in then use a large syringe with small rubber tube attatched to it as the fill up point is on the side of the haldex unit, takes under 1ltr to fill, you know when it's full when the oil starts running back out the fill up point
Pretty straight forward.
Much easiest than your 3 examples :)

Thanks!
Real good to know if one day having the same unluck...

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly and Rob2k68
Re 034 Motorsport Mount - Dogbone Mount...

My S3 8V was also version 2.

For anyone looking to see what version they have.. I used the idea that @Rob2k68 had (i.e. using phone) along with notes on placement from @batch. Basically using a bit of cardboard about the length of my arm and a light source for the phone you can easily establish the model you have.. Just run the cardboard in a straight line towards the centre of the car in line with the back of the front wheels.

simples....

Here is a link to the video I took.

Jungle

Thanks!
Real good to know if one day having the same unluck...
It really is worth taking off to clean the filter, 20 mins max, the filter is built into the pump and sits at the end, it's a white gauze and does clog up quite easy, save yourself £££ and get it cleaned

Reactions: S3 Turbo and S3Alex
So the s3 front wheel drive saga continues :(
Ready to fit replacement propshaft and realised that after further investigation that the original prop is fine, it's the transfer box that's fecked :(
Cars in good hands so hopefully back working for Friday evening

Reactions: S3Alex, larbel and Rob2k68
Transfer box? Bit like the 4WD vauxhalls of old ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

So the s3 front wheel drive saga continues :(
Ready to fit replacement propshaft and realised that after further investigation that the original prop is fine, it's the transfer box that's fecked :(
Cars in good hands so hopefully back working for Friday evening

Interesting.....the transfer box on mine also chewed itself up some time back.

The gearbox was quite noisy in 2nd and 5th gears,so we had it rebuilt with uprated bearing step,but at the same time,the transfer box was opened and found to be pretty much ruined.
The gearbox had been noisy from new,so we wondered if this wasn't some sort of manufacturing issue with the bearings,but impossible to say.

Since that rebuild,and with a new transfer box,it hasn't given any problems with much more power and torque,so hopefully yours should now be fine.

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly, pburv and Rob2k68
So the propshaft isn't really an issue? Should we still bother to replace the dog bone mount? I've read the 034 doesn't increase the NVH but is it really the case and still worth it?