Front wheel bearing replacement

glenandem

Reaction score
are they easy enough to do at home, look like they’re bolted into hub but I imagine they stick in there lol!
Any tips to make replacement easier?

are they easy enough to do at home, look like they’re bolted into hub but I imagine they stick in there lol!
Any tips to make replacement easier?
Not too bad if you don't rush it m8. If you take the drive shaft out of the hub and disconnect the damper from it as well. Then you can pull the Hub towards you, means you can access the spline bolts better. Once all four bolts are out it will be still well stuck in there, mine needed a lot of persuasion! Obviously don't use heat as the upright is ally. Have you got new bearings and hubs or just new bearings?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: glenandem
Thanks pal I’ve just got the bearing, was just gonna grind the old bearing off the hub once I got it out the upright, I’ve done a few like that before.
Are the spline bolts easy enough to get out?

Thanks pal I’ve just got the bearing, was just gonna grind the old bearing off the hub once I got it out the upright, I’ve done a few like that before.
Are the spline bolts easy enough to get out?
You will need a breaker bar or impact gun for the spline bolts as it's a lot easier. Make sure you clean the **** out of where the socket is going into as well, it's easy to round them off if it's not in square.

Did mine this morning without taking off the full drive shaft.
Just over an hour from start to finish.

Did mine this morning without taking off the full drive shaft.
Just over an hour from start to finish.
Neither did m8, just undid the big bolt that goes through the hub and slide it out at the hub end

hi guys I replaced it this afternoon, very easy to do, worst bit was just grinding the old bearing assembly off the cleaning up the upright!
All sorted and running sweet again

hi guys I replaced it this afternoon, very easy to do, worst bit was just grinding the old bearing assembly off the cleaning up the upright!
All sorted and running sweet again
Nice one m8

Reactions: glenandem
Any pics? Damn sight easier that the old B5 when hub carrier had to come off and press out old bearing and press in new one. Even the pros can nip the bearing if it's not 100% flush.

Any pics? Damn sight easier that the old B5 when hub carrier had to come off and press out old bearing and press in new one. Even the pros can nip the bearing if it's not 100% flush.
The old bearing has to pressed out and the new one pressed in on this model m8. I just got my m8 at the garage to do that bit.
54bc0dac8c15f92b2f2387acf8f05de2.jpg

Reactions: spartacus 68
Can you buy it with integral bearing fitted? Did the rear bearing on my Škoda last weekend, and it looks the same, but on stub axle. FAG part was £55 which I thought was excellent price.

Can you buy it with integral bearing fitted? Did the rear bearing on my Škoda last weekend, and it looks the same, but on stub axle. FAG part was £55 which I thought was excellent price.
I couldn't find anywhere that did m8. Nothing stopping someone pressing them together and selling them as a unit but no one seems to. Tbh though the cost is in the hub so unless the hub is damaged I wouldn't bother, cos as you say an oe make bearing is cheap enough to buy.

If you're not in a rush put the hub in the freezer over night. Tbh because of the stepped bearing size on these. You're only pressing on half the length. I did it with a vice yesterday with a smear of wd40 and it flew on.

Reactions: spartacus 68 and Ginge247
I’ve done many with a grinder and I did this one too that way, I cut across the old bearing in two places until it drops off the outer casing and the ball bearings until your left with the two inner shells, same again grind across them being careful when you get down to the hub.
Know them off, clean the hub shaft off and then On a flat surface get the new bearing and use a block of wood or the old inner bearing shell and carefully tap the new bearing home onto the shaft.
I’d rather have access to a press but needs must and this works a treat for me, done loads this way at the side of the Rd!!