Front wheel bearing replacement

Crispin Glover

Reaction score
Audi want £370 on top of the £60 investigation fee. Anyone here based in North-East London handy with a spanner who'd do it? I can buy the part. Or if anyone can recommend a decent garage who'd do it. That quote seems steep for a wheel bearing and I can't really afford it with a baby on the way.

Shame I'm away as I could of possibly done it for you, but the charge seems about right for a London dealership tbh.

Yeah I agree, the charge is spot on for parts and labour via a dealership, but I'm pretty sure I can source the part myself and get it fitted by a garage or handy DIYer for a fraction of the cost, which is frankly all I can afford at the minute! I know it's a relatively easy job but it's just a couple of spanners above my level.

Not a particularly time consuming / difficult job either.
I replaced both my front bearings recently - I purchased the new bearing (Febi - £40) from ebay.
Removed both front bearings then took them to a local machine shop to remove the hub from the old bearing and press into the new one which cost £20.

Only items that need removing to remove the front bearing are;
Wheel, brake caliper & disc, driveshaft.

I would shop around.

A local garage is quoting £60, if i supply the part. Bit more than 20 but it means I don't have to get my hawns dirty or buy a torque wrench

£60 to fit the bearing is a bargain, I assume that's for the whole job, not just pressing out the bearing from the hub?

£60 to fit the bearing is a bargain, I assume that's for the whole job, not just pressing out the bearing from the hub?

Aye, whole job (I'm supplying the part), little back street place, legit, found them on some Fix My Car type website, I wouldn't use one of these places for anything complicated but it beats Mr Clutch at £130 and Audi at £50,000

I knew this was the case when you leave it with a dealer but slightly annoyingly they've come back and said the clutch is on it's last legs, the front control arm bushes are starting to split, and the bonnet release cable's stopped working! It was fine when I left it with them. Are they easy to replace?

"They" being the garage who did your bearing? What's the mileage? Clutch may well be fine - the pedal always engages "high". Is it slipping under hard acceleration? If no, wait till it does!

The CAB's are easy to check - mine were changed at about 130,000 and while the car had passed the MoT, it was fairly obvious they were gubbed seeing as how you could see the entire wheel moving backwards when braking to a halt! As to the cable - now that might be a pain - - -

"They" being the garage who did your bearing? What's the mileage? Clutch may well be fine - the pedal always engages "high". Is it slipping under hard acceleration? If no, wait till it does!

The CAB's are easy to check - mine were changed at about 130,000 and while the car had passed the MoT, it was fairly obvious they were gubbed seeing as how you could see the entire wheel moving backwards when braking to a halt! As to the cable - now that might be a pain - - -

They being the Audi dealership, who I'm aware manage to find a load of new issues, which I guess it part of the service, I don't have to peruse them (yet). There's 83,000 on the clock and I didn't give them the history so it's fair enough for them to ask about fluids and belts and stuff.

Yeah I've heard the clutch bites high on these anyway so I'm not worried, and it's not slipping (and I do give it some beans).

They actually told me not to worry about the bushes yet as they're only starting to go.

The cable is the only ******** there, it was fine when I went in, must have snapped or jammed while it's with them. It sometimes doesn't close after opening the bonnet, dunno it that's a clue.

Hmmm - well, if it's releasing when pulled then at least it's intact. Me, I'd spray some lube into the catch and see what happens.