front wheel bearing life expectancy!

vorsprung dork

Reaction score
i always drive with the radio on! been doing motorway driving alot and ran a while with radio off im sure the o/s front wheel bearing is just starting to hum! not that noticable at the mo! car has 106 k on clock! im doing all 4 disks and pads in the next month or so should i replace both in fact should i replace all four bearings while im on! car is a quattro!

if you want peace of mind and can afford to replace the lot then do it

are you sure its a wheel bearing and not tyre noise?

i will find out on sat as im getting 4 new boots! my 2 rear tyres are below the ware markers! ns front has 1.7 mm on and o/s front is about 5 mm im wondering if this is causing it! i got the wheels off my avant when i bought it and chucked my 19s on it! all tyre are differant makes! might be this!

could be

you can only try and see i have a hum on the rear off side and im getting 4 new tyres tomorrow if it doesnt go then i will be buying a wheel bearing or two

i read they are meant to last the life of the car in the hanz manul but i dont think they can say that as they dont no how long the car will last ;-) i get the same sort of thing but thinking its tyer mind mine is on 149k now so id think they are up for it soon lol

hope it is the tyres! seems a bit twitchy over uneven surfaces too at the mo it never used to be! cant complane thou had it for 5 years an shes cost not alot!

You can normally tell if its tyre noise or wheel bearing, does the noise change when you steer when driving? Steppped tread can make wheel bearing type noise, If you run your hand along the tread it should be fairly even , if not can cause noise similar to a wheel bearing.

will let you all know sat afternoon after new tyres!
You can normally tell if its tyre noise or wheel bearing, does the noise change when you steer when driving? Steppped tread can make wheel bearing type noise, If you run your hand along the tread it should be fairly even , if not can cause noise similar to a wheel bearing.

get it on a jack and spin the wheel.. you will know straight away if its the bearing or not, i've had to do mine ( i think it depends on how you drive ) i've bought a premium one (68 pound each) from andrew page, put them on and one was faulty... so the job had to be done again but at least ive learned how to do it myself ( using my friends hydraulic press)

Just had my nearside one replaced, on 150k so can't complain, my previous B6 Avant one went at 160k so seems about typical, 215k is very good

My old FWD needed the front bearings done at ~150k.

The quattro had a rear done before i baught it (~90k) which failed in relatively short order (fitters had damaged the seal!), the other rear became noisey and after replacing both of them i realised one of the fronts had started making a racket too, i ended up changing all four by 120k.

On some cars the 'wiggling a jacked wheel' doesnt always tell of a wheel bearing failure. The most obvious is the 'whump whump' noise from a wheel when on a long steady turn, such as a motorway turn off.

also this might help; when my bearing was worn, the noise was getting quiter when breaking.. but when i lifted the car up and span the wheel there was a clicking noise so i knew it was the bearing.

4 new tyres and shes still singing! 4 new barings coming right up! i recon doing doughnuts in the snow for the last two winters has had an adverse affect on the mo fows!

mine was horiffic when i brought it @ 70mph ish and it was the tyres causing it