Front wheel bearing change

READER84

Reaction score
Hi, going to do my front bearings on my 2005 A4 B7, any idea if i will need a puller or press or if it should be an easy change? any tips?

cheers

You can buy the bearing assembly so no pressing is required, not sure how hard the front are on thesr! You'll slso need a 17mm or 19mm allen key on 1/2 drive, or both as was my case

And replace the axle bolt while your there as a precaution

I looked at doing the bearing only, (on a B6 - which I guess will be the same as your B7) and decided not to - watching the tech do it convinced me I was correct. A press was used, and it took a lot of pressure! I seriously doubt that I could have knocked it out. SO, the advice to buy the complete assembly would be good, depending on the price comparison between doing it yourself and paying a garage.

Audi would supply the bolt - I can say though that my garage didnt replace it - rightly or wrongly.

Not sure if you've purchased the bearings yet or how much genuine audi part costs, but GSF have 33% off using code XMAS33 at the moment and they can usually get OEM stuff if you know who the manufacturer of bearings are?

To change the actual bearing - the hub will need to be pressed out of the old bearing and into the new one. I resorted to buying second hand hubs with good bearings so I could have the job done in one evening.
Removing the hub from the car is pretty straightforward - however they can become a little seized in there.
If I remember correctly, I did mine the following way;
  1. Whilst the car was still on the ground - I loosened the driveshaft bolt
  2. Remove the wheel from the car
  3. Unbolt brake caliper and secure out of the way, remove brake disk
  4. Unbolt the driveshaft from the gearbox and remove from car
  5. Remove ABS sensor so not to damage - be careful with this
  6. There are 4 large Torx bolts holding the hub assembly to the suspension upright - remove them
  7. This is the fun bit - I didnt have a press/puller tool to use, so ended up knocking one side out with a socket and hammer, the other side was even more difficult as I couldnt get the swing on the hammer (ended up removing the upright so I could get a proper swing)