FRONT TWEETER WIRING.HELP NEEDED

afcjay

Reaction score
ive just removed the standard head unit and upgraded it in my A3 1.8T
i need help with finding the right wires for the tweeters in the front doors
the mid/bass speakers work fine but im getting nothing from the tweeters in the doors
i need to know what colour wires in the dash i need to find to fire the tweeters up
are they wired into a crossover in the door or do they have there own seperated feed?if so what colour are the wires?
can anyone help?

Hi,

The tweeters in the doors are wired in parallel with the midbass in the bottom of the doors. IIRC, the two pairs of cables meet at a connector just behind the electric window switches on the door, and the tweeters are cabled via a connector to the door card, with a capacitor in series to provide a HP filter function.

I'm guessing either the tweeters are fried, or they are not plugged in...

Cheers,

thanks for that.
so there is no wiring for the tweeters behind the HU
so if my mids in the doors are working ok off my HU then its a door card off job to check the wiring etc behind the door card?
do the tweeter covers not come off to save taking the door card off as i could just try another tweeter?

Correct. Mids working = wiring OK to doors.

Access to the tweeters is via the back of the door card. They are just held in place by a little bracket + 1 screw.

A fairly easy job to remove the door cards. Just a few screws to remove, lift up the card, and take it off. Then remove the bowden cable & a couple of wiring plugs.

Cheers,

ok thanks very much,ill take a look tomorrow if i get time
i just thought it was strange why they both wernt working and thought they might have there own wiring behind the HU
:thumbsup:

you were right alijames both tweeters were fubbered
just put a new pair in and hey presto :thumbsup:

Cynical as usual Andy...

Finally got my 6W0 last week, so guess what I'm doing this weekend?

Cheers,

you wouldnt happen to know the standard speaker (8l) sizes front and back buy any chance would you including front tweeters as i think i may replace them all with some decent componants up front and whatever they are in the rear door cards 3 way?
just want a straight swap without needeing adaptors or door pods etc?

Can't do it without either adaptors or door pods I'm afraid, as the standard speakers are a daft 3 hole mounting that I don't think any other manufacturers make.

Best thing (which is what I did), is to buy some shallow (<55mm) 5.25" components for the front, and make some custom MDF adaptors for them. The plastic ones you can buy from Autoleads are c**p!

Same for the rears, but you can use 5.25", 6.5" or even 6x9" here if you want, as there is plenty of room!!

Cheers,

I bought some plastic autolead adaptors and they are indeed crap. I believe AndyMac has a PDF adaptor template in the ICE forum, should you need it.

Actually I've still got some Infinity Kappa 50.5cs (I think) components, boxed, new, never used for sale. PM me if you're interested.

I bought some plastic autolead adaptors and they are indeed crap. I believe AndyMac has a PDF adaptor template in the ICE forum, should you need it.

Yep, I started with Andy's templates, but them modified/improved the design of both front and back ones. (Also, my rears are 6x9", so Andy's would not work...)

Cheers,

Stock fronts are 4" (yes that's a whole 4 inches) with 1" tweeters.
Rears are 6.5" 2 way coaxials.

thanks for the replys people :thumbsup: