front top strut mounts

milie

Reaction score
this may be a silly question but do you have to drop the whol suspension arm down or can you replace them by just compressing the spring and loosesning the fixing bolts?? I suspect it will require the whole arm to be dropped?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

This is a total bitch on an S3... I did mine the weekend before last. I had read that it was very simple to replace the top mount and bearing (without taking the strut out) - It isn't.

I think if you really want to do it you need to be prepared to take the whole strut out and take the driveshafts or ball joints off and even then it's still a whole lot of effort. If you need any more information if you decide to do it let me know!

You shouldn't need to touch the ball joints. You release the strut at the bottom and compress the springs on the car to remove if it gets akward.

Well on my car, even after compressing the springs more than I'd like there still wasn't enough clearance to get the strut off the ****** car. So rather than buying another tool and playing with the driveshafts I took the bolts off the ball joint / wishbone and then it was possible - just.

The thing that bugs me is there's a how too on one of the tt sites and it seems to show you can replace the bearing and the top mount without spring compressors or doing anything other than undoing the two nuts at the top - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!

On my A3, and on a MkIV i did, i had to remobe lower ball joint from arm to get the strut out... Wasnt enough clearance if i didnt do that.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
On my A3, and on a MkIV i did, i had to remobe lower ball joint from arm to get the strut out... Wasnt enough clearance if i didnt do that.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank F/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifK for that I was starting to think it was just me and my car as per ****** usual! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Hahahaha!! But you're not paranoid about it at all are you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hahahaha!! But you're not paranoid about it at all are you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you the one thing that could make me sell my car is the constant "what is that noise, oh ****** that'll be another big bill then"... but I do love it so todays view is it's a keeper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I think if you could compress the springs enough (which I also found a pain with the spring compressors I bought as they were too long so hit something if you used them the right way and you couldn't use them the wrong way as you couldn't get to the bolt to turn it- but I did modify to be ok) and disconnected the driveshafts it could be ok, also if your wishbone bushes are rodgered and not poly ones you might get enough movement to just get them out.

The strange thing I found was the manual said it should be easier on the passenger side which i didn't find to be the case!

I think you may have a point about the poly bushes not allowing the arm to drop as much as with rubber bushes. All the cars I'm worked on had the OE items fitted at the time.

Depends if the manual is intended for RHD or LHD. The side with the longer drive shaft should be the easiest as you get more movement.

thanks for the info guys, I will have a go at the weekend, the knocking is really starting to annoy me know!!

well i have managed to fit my top strut mounts, all without removing the arm..... compressed the spring, took of the securing nuts, and put the new ones in.... the hardest part was to get the strut back into place as it kept creeping back down.... If you have to do these its easy, just be careful when putting your hand in the wheelarch.... make sure the springs are secure!!!

Good work - has it sorted the problem? I think if I could have held the ****** strut up (at the same time as doing things up) I could have done it that way too, but it just started getting on my nerves!

yeah, its sorted it, the ride is alot smoother, and quieter now!! Well ihad to use some string to pull the stut pack into place once i had place the new rubber mount and bearing at the top of the spring..... very fiddley...!!