Front Top Mount bushes - different size thickness?

Tricki

Getting into it
Reaction score
Swapped my front springs recently and had a pack of new top bushes and bearings from previous owner. When about to install the new ones I realized that the new ones were about 15 mm taller than the old. I considered if it could be the old ones being compressed, but it didn't look like it, and they had about the same firmness as the new ones. On top of that the moulding looked somewhat different between the two. So end of story I didn't dare to put on the new ones, changed only the bearing. The old ones still fitted well, though the cup in the engine bay rests away from the chassis itself, is that correct? (I'll post a pic later)

Question is; are there different height top bushes that will fit the S3? And if so, what differences are there and what should I choose? I guess if i fit a taller on the car will be sat slightly higher, right?

S3 uses the same top mounts as all the other Mk4 chassis cars in the vag range... LCR ones are different though... they are stiffer...

New top mounts will be taller as age compresses them...

<tuffty?.

******! I felt it. Should have changed them then. And I just got my wheels aligned today.... If I swap the for new ones, the alignment has to be redone, right? And thanks for the reply tuffty :icon_thumright:

Possibly... but I would let it settler for a week or so then take is back for a check...

<tuffty/>

Ok, thanks. So just to confirm, it's not supposed to look like this then, the top cap should rest on the chassis?

7094210891_c94be35c0b_c.jpg

I've sorted it. Managed to swap them, even without removing the wheel, so happy about that. Looks like it didn't change any angles, but it sits slightly higher in the front, which suits me just fine. Feels a bit more comfy too, obviously. Now the top mount is seated as intended I guess:

7094667965_8465d1bee2_z.jpg

And the ride height:

6948598896_8a5ce73610_c.jpg

Ok, thanks. So just to confirm, it's not supposed to look like this then, the top cap should rest on the chassis?

7094210891_c94be35c0b_c.jpg

Mine look like this!?!

Btw love your wheels dude. What are they?