Front suspension noise

Beppe895

Reaction score
Hi I’ve got some noise coming from my front suspension.
My first thought was suspension arms but just been for MOT and it passed with an advisory for “ harsh suspension.
It generally happens more at lower speed going round corners or in car parks. Can also happen when braking.
Any help would be appreciated

It is a knocking/ thudding noise. It isn’t constant only generally when braking or on a poor road.

Silly question but if I get the car on a ramp I’m guessing I will be able to look and see any cracks in metal or bushes on their way out.
Any ideas on where to get replacement parts if required

My subframe was cracked but in a place it couldn't be seen on the car, it was found when it went on the shaker plates on the mot ramp,
got a second hand one off egay for £40 & had it fitted, took half a day & £200.

My MOT man noticed it when putting it on the ramp so sounds very suspicious.
My dad has a 4 post car lift in his shed, I’m going to try getting it on there tomorrow.
if I get a replacement of fee bay would it be worth replacing the bushes and giving it a wire brush and paint before it goes on the car.

Audi B6  Subframe IMG 2352

In the image above ( sorry I couldn't add any wording ) in between the two holes at the bottom there's a strengthening bar welded internally, the welds let go and this leads to slight movement and knocking, impossible to re weld as there's no access. The only way to see if this has happened is on a shaker plate and with a good light watch through the holes for movement.

I get a couple of knocks from the front suspension in different situations. The worst is when trowing it into a roundabout, i get a single knock as its loading up. Im putting it down to rather worn original multi link setup and replacing the lot in the new year, so hopefully that will cure it