Front Subframe S4/RS4

M4SKELLL

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Could anyone tell me whether or not the B5 S4 and the B5 RS4 front manual transmission subframes are identical?
The part numbers match apart from the very last letter so not sure if that would matter.
Thanks in advance!

With VAG part numbers, a single letter change can be significant, it could be a totally different shape etc...

In this case, the part number is different because the bushes are different, and the frame comes with the bushes pre-installed.

The frame itself is the same, its common to all V6 models, but the RS4 has stiffer bushes.

What are you trying to do?

Yeah that was my thinking too.. handy to know it's the bushes that are different.
I can possibly get hold of a used RS4 front subframe, my plan is to strip it down and seam weld, paint and re-bush it to then install on my S4 as a strengthened replacement. It saves me time in having the car off the road if I were to do it to my current subframe.
So in theory as I'll be removing all the bushes and buying something like the billet aluminium kit available, the difference between the two shouldn't be an issue?
Would this also be the case for the rear?
Thanks mate!

Yeh it'll be fine. If its a road car, stick with rubber bushes. Just buy new RS4 ones.

Rear frame is common to all quattros, again bar the bushes.

I've got a rear frame here that i plan to do the same with, but i fancy getting it galvanised. These cars arent getting any younger and finding good used parts is only going to get harder, so galvanising it should mean it lasts another 20 years.

Reactions: M4SKELLL
Perfect bud thankyou!
What's your reasoning for advising against the billet bushes? It's a road car and will stay so, but I favour handling and am not afraid of a little vibration (or is it severe?)
A rear would definitely be in the plans but that opens a whole new area of 'refurbishment' - brakes/lines, diff etc.
So may be a little way off yet.

The RS4 subframe bushes are solid rubber and are very well constrained.

I fitted alloy bushes to my rear subframe, probably 4 years ago now, as well as stiffening up various other bushes. Its ****. The noise and harshness totally ruins the car. I've slowly replaced them all with new standard OEM parts, and the only thing left is the actual subframe itself, which i'll be replacing once the weather gets better with a reconditioned frame and RS4 bushes.

I think lots of people (myself included) rush in with this idea that stiffer is better and that we must get rid of all OEM rubber. We then fit polybushes or whatever and confirm our own thoughts, it now handles nicer that it did before.

We forget that when these cars were new, they handled excellently. The reason you get an improvement fitting polybushes, is that the original rubber bushes were 18 years old and have covered 150k. New OEM rubber will have had 90% of the same effect, and wouldnt have added all the negatives. We have a bonus on this platform that Audi developed various stiffer bushings for the RS4 (and the S4 for some of them, when compared with normal A4 models), so it makes sense to take advantage of that benefit, safe in the knowledge that its not going to add loads of harshness and undesirable noise.

Obviously if its a track car, and your chasing 10/10ths with no care for noise etc, then by all means use them. Infact thats exactly what i plan for my alloy bushes, i'll be putting them on my B5 track car.

I see your reasoning mate all taken onboard, thankyou!
I remember being advised against polybushes throughout the underside of my S3 8L, specifically the wishbones. I went against public opinion but was very happy with the result so for me I need to be sure I'm not just of a different idea of what's 'comfortable' if that makes sense?
An opinion as strong as yours though, and getting the impression you're not new to it all is helpful! I'll stick with RS4 bushes I suspect.
The rest of the setup underneath should make it feel more capable anyway ;)
Cheers again mate much appreciated!