Front speaker upgrade

Ryanmt

Reaction score
Hi all, ive got a none bose setup. Im just wondering how hard it is to uprate the front speakers? ive got a spare set of focal components or some mbquarts i could fit too left over from previous cars. Whats the score with wiring the crossovers in?

You need adapters to fit any speakers, as they stand off the inner doorskin by about 42mm.
All the wiring is already in the door, you just need to find somewhere within the doorcard to stick the xover where it doesn't foul the innerskin. Rewiring is a real pain as there is no route through from the door to the cabin (the stock wiring is via a connector inside the A pillar, so impossible to get to). You'll need some spare pop fasteners from your stealer as they are designed to break when removing the door card.
Just bear in mind the new speakers will be running off the feeble 2 x 20w HU amp, so don't expect too much improvement.
Avantfrontwoofer.jpg

Avantdoorcard.jpg

These adapters are for the A3 8P but I think they will also fit the B6:
Audi A3/S3 8P MDF front speaker adapters 6.5" component on eBay (end time 29-Oct-10 22:58:14 BST)

I'e upgraded mine to a set of CDT 6.5" components. I made MDF mounts and bolted them to the inner door skin at the standard speaker locations.
As they are run from an amp I managed to run new speaker cables into the door but had to run these outside the rubber gaiter in the door shut as there is no way to run them inside the gaiter with the standard loom.

Tweeters are in the stock locations and held in with a bit of glue gun glue which allows them to be taken out again nice and easily.

Crossovers will just fit behind the doorcard if you mount them directly above the speaker up against the window motor.

As above make sure you buy some of the clips that hold the door card on as they will break. From memory there are about 5 black clips and 2 white ones per door.

Do the speakers still fit behind the standard grills with the new speakers and adapters on?

Yep sure do. My mounts are about 40mm deep and take a 6.5" speaker with 68mm depth. You cant go much deeper as there is a brace for the window mech in the way.

With 40mm mounts the speakers clear the doorcard fine.

I did the same as Garfie except when I put my own HU in, I just disconnected the wires from my Bose amp in the rear and rerouted from the connector to the front and rears also. Ball ache a little but worth it in the end.