Front seat belt holders creaking

yetirider

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone else suffer with the front seat belt buckle holders creaking as you drive?
Mine at times creak like mad.

Anyone had this fixed??

Cheers Phil

Its funny you should mention this as mines started creaking today. Doing my ****** head in. Looks like another trip to my local stealer this will be visit number 5 on a new car with only 1000 miles "sigh"

My passenger seat buckle holder has been creaking for a few weeks now. Not had a chance to take it in yet. Drivers side is fine.

Same as, noticed passenger side creaking a couple of days ago. We had someone in the back so wonder if the seat being further forward cause it. I've not had time to look

Yes same here. When you tune into the noise, it can become annoying.

I read somewhere that ramming a folded cloth between the seat and the holder can cure it but I haven't tried that yet.

Same here. Had same issue on the Golf R or R32.
Just get a bit of thin cloth/foam and wrap it round the stem, then tape/tie it. Only takes a minute or two and if you do it ok, you can't even see it.

Yep same here. The passenger one creaks like mad.. It drives me nuts!
Need to try and find out if putting a cloth between the holder and the seat works.. But should we be having to do this on a premium car like this? No Way!

I had this too, took mine in for a software update and complained about the creaking, he told me it was the back of the seatbelt holder rubbing on the leather, he told me they will put a piece of felt on it to stop it, I expected some bodge job but got a very nicely cut and professionally done job that even had a cut out to read all the nonsense crap on the belt, and I haven't heard it since - but I have heard the passenger one do it, so when I go back i'll get them to do it on that one too (not sure why they didn't anyway)

The only thing that annoys me is the actual belt in the holder clicks around, especially when turning a corner or if I re adjust myself it clicks, I complained to them about this but apparently it's normal.. even though i argued the passenger one doesn't only if you really try to get it to click, which he tried himself (and did try) and still said it was normal! Oh and the belt tensioner/retractor - drivers side also - makes a clunking noise, so again if I move around it clunks right in your ear, and doesn't the otherside - he again tried to replicate it on the passenger side (and tried it so hard it did it) and said it was normal... I just shrugged it off as it doesn't bother me that much. Probably more hassle than what it's worth.

Not sure if you guys was meaning any of the above, but take it in and ask for the felt.

Reactions: GarethJB
I had this too, took mine in for a software update and complained about the creaking, he told me it was the back of the seatbelt holder rubbing on the leather, he told me they will put a piece of felt on it to stop it, I expected some bodge job but got a very nicely cut and professionally done job that even had a cut out to read all the nonsense **** on the belt, and I haven't heard it since - but I have heard the passenger one do it, so when I go back i'll get them to do it on that one too (not sure why they didn't anyway)

The only thing that annoys me is the actual belt in the holder clicks around, especially when turning a corner or if I re adjust myself it clicks, I complained to them about this but apparently it's normal.. even though i argued the passenger one doesn't only if you really try to get it to click, which he tried himself (and did try) and still said it was normal! Oh and the belt tensioner/retractor - drivers side also - makes a clunking noise, so again if I move around it clunks right in your ear, and doesn't the otherside - he again tried to replicate it on the passenger side (and tried it so hard it did it) and said it was normal... I just shrugged it off as it doesn't bother me that much. Probably more hassle than what it's worth.

Not sure if you guys was meaning any of the above, but take it in and ask for the felt.

Can you take a picture of the fix? My local dealership needs pointing in the right direction to get the right fix at times so this one would be useful to know to save repeated trips back :)

No probs on my current S3 (20,000 miles covered) thankfully, but I DID have that problem on my last S3 (8P) and my TTS - the solution was to wrap some cladding around the base of the offending area. You won't be able to see it and it completely solves the problem. IMO a waste of time taking it to the dealer as it takes seconds to resolve it yourself.

Can you take a picture of the fix? My local dealership needs pointing in the right direction to get the right fix at times so this one would be useful to know to save repeated trips back :)

I'll get a picture today. if you see nothing in that amount of time ask again - don't let me forget haha

There is an Audi Workshop TPI covering this.

Pre-cut felt parts are available for fitment by the workshop

I tried a micro fibre cloth placed between the armrest plastic and the seat belt holder and it seems to have stopped the creaking.

I thought these seats already had the felt pad on the seat to belt clip contact area? I'll look tomorrow..

Click to see it bigger

Reactions: GarethJB
I thought these seats already had the felt pad on the seat to belt clip contact area? I'll look tomorrow..

They have on mine, but I guess it depends on how far back you have your seat/s.

I'm a shortarse 5'7'' and my seat belt holders are by the material pads and make no noise. I always put the passenger seat back level with the drivers if someone moves it back...

Hi @A_Davison, can you see if you have any of these available please? My drivers seat is creaking since I had it in last for the seat base assembly replacement.

FYI @Phil-1

Cheers Matti

iv got the same on the TT

Had this in the TT - get some Velcro (soft bit) and stick to underside of the holder that sits on the bolster. Job done.