front S4 Discs and carriers on an A4 Wheel size question

Molnboman

Reaction score
Right Folks,

Close to pushing the button on an S4 front Brake upgrade on the Old Bus. Tell me this, If I change up to the S4 disc size ( 345mm? ) what is the smallest wheel I can put on the car. I have RS4 19's with summer tyres which I will know will go on no issues, however, I have 16" Winter wheels and am wondering if these will fit or do I require spacers in order for the wheels to clear the bigger discs and carriers. Lastly, other than the bigger carrier is there any other parts required to finish the upgrade....other than the snazzy S4 brake retaining clips hehehe. Any advice greatly welcomed.

Happy Sunday,

Cheers
A

I like this upgrade, im also thinking about it. The S4 discs are pretty large I don't reckon 16's would take them. mind you thats a guess on looking at the disc size so may just fit with a few cm spare. someone on here has done it they may be able to say so, cant remember the name tho

Thanks...the 16's go on just and no more at present without any spacer things, but not sure if they will fit with the bigger discs and they are bigger by 20 odd mil'.

Cheers
A

Thanks...the 16's go on just and no more at present without any spacer things, but not sure if they will fit with the bigger discs and they are bigger by 20 odd mil'.

Cheers
A

Not sure of this helps in the slightest, but the 1 piece vented B7 S4 brakes dims are as follows:-

Diameter 345
Thickness 30
Min Thickness 28
Height 46
Bore Diameter 68
Studs 5

goose

Not sure of this helps in the slightest, but the 1 piece vented B7 S4 brakes dims are as follows:-

Diameter 345
Thickness 30
Min Thickness 28
Height 46
Bore Diameter 68
Studs 5

goose

Goose, that's about as much use as a three legged donkey! hahaha only kidding....Cheers Matey, Aye, am aware of the size of the discs....it'll just be a case of seeing if the calipers will clear the 16's....I don't have to panic till October when I need to change over tae winter tyres by law....so plenty of time to suss things oot!

Cheers
A

Last edited:
Reactions: g00se

Cheers
A

no mate no chance with the 16''.
You need at least 17'' +
what i used to do with my previous cars was to keep two sets of 18'' one flashy,blingy and a set for the winter to cope with all the snow,ice,salt & grit..
and regards that upgrade... one part you might also think of is a set steel braided brake lines and some good brake fluid in order to prevent a sort of spongy feel on the brake pedal once you instaled the S4 set up.

btw are you doing a complete S4 conversion? i mean front and rear brakes ,or just the front?

no mate no chance with the 16''.
You need at least 17'' +
what i used to do with my previous cars was to keep two sets of 18'' one flashy,blingy and a set for the winter to cope with all the snow,ice,salt & grit..
and regards that upgrade... one part you might also think of is a set steel braided brake lines and some good brake fluid in order to prevent a sort of spongy feel on the brake pedal once you instaled the S4 set up.

btw are you doing a complete S4 conversion? i mean front and rear brakes ,or just the front?

Thanks for the tips.....I have standard SE 17"s Audi wheels ( which am using right now with Summer tyres ) so it would be case of just finding some winter tyres for them.

Aye, braided hoses were something I was thinking about. I was only thinking about doing the fronts to be fair. I know the back discs and pads could do with replacing but wasn't going to upgrade them just keep them the same size. Is there some words of wisdom you wanted to share with regards this point. Feel free.....I am not proud, and need as much help as possible with this.

Cheers
Allan

words of wisdom haha ...
to be honest with you I'm not an expert either.I have experience with tuning/modding A3's before, being a B7 owner just for a month or so I'm not so sure.
I've been thinking of upgrading the brakes and since my baby is a quattro I'm a bit confused whether to upgrade the rear end or not.
the plan for me so far is : front

source some OEM S4 carriers , combine them with some MTEC drilled/grooved discs 345mm,some good pads of which brand I'm still not sure of (previously used brembo,mintex on A3 as they were spot on),HEL braided hoses,motul fluid.

as for the rear I would like to know more ,whether its worth upgrading or not.
if not then I just go for normal size drilled/grooved MTEC discs some proper pads and of course the braided hoses.

OH and almost forgot the most important part :)

paint all the calipers RED :rock:

Hehehehe I can see you have money burning a hole in your pocket!.....like me , if I had the money!

I reckon the Quattro may be a little more complicated as you wouldn't want to be upsetting anything on those 4WD's purely because it's 4WD.
There's plenty of options for discs and pads so that should be fun too! I heard of upgraders going for red stuff and green stuff pads.....there' a Swedish company up here doing deals on German Zimmerman discs and red and green stuff pads so may go with them.....no major hurry.

As for brake caliper.....oh, black will do for me....

Cheers
A

hey Alan..
do You know if the calipers (front) on our A4's are the same size as the S4 ones?
as the staff at audi dealer couldn't confirm that.
the part number for the A4/S4 are pretty much the same with the only difference being an added letter B for the S4.

hey Alan..
do You know if the calipers (front) on our A4's are the same size as the S4 ones?
as the staff at audi dealer couldn't confirm that.
the part number for the A4/S4 are pretty much the same with the only difference being an added letter B for the S4.

I have been doing a wee bit of research on the US and UK Audi owner sites and it would appear that the S4 front calipers are exactly the same as the B7 A4 front calipers....the only difference is the carriers for the discs and the discs themselves which are bigger. not sure about the backing plate if there is one. I have a mucker who works at VAG who will confirm all of this to me this week.

Here's a link to the ECS disc upgrade which confirms the above ( although they are quoting their own parts for the upgrade on this link. ) ECS b7 S4 rotor conversion

• What about B6 S4? Same setup as B7 S4 or smaller rotors like B7 A4?

B6 S4 = B7 S4

B7 A4 = B6/B7 S4 calipers with smaller rotors/different carriers

Cheers
A

Last edited:
Reactions: TOM.S
Just a wee update...started trying to get codes and parts for the brake upgrade....but nearly crapped mysel when I realised the carriers are 180 quid EACH up here. The pads and discs are not that expensive but carriers are totally ott price wise imho. There are also two different brake caliper types on my age of B7 so I would need to get the style of caliper bang on in order for the carrier to fit correctly. At that price, am thinking it would be more cost effective just to upgrade to the best standard B7 discs I can get and go for VAG pads to match. Unfortunately, EBC don't do Greenstuff pads for my car model....which is a ******! Not sure if anyone else has recommendations for good quality pads that are not for track days or take too long to warm up.

Decisions decisions.

Cheers
Allan

Last edited:
ooh my ****** 180 for a piece metal bracket!!!? You're right might as well be a better option just to get some good aftermarket discs and pads.in this case I can recommend mintex.ferodo,brembo pads. i have experience with all of them and in terms of stopping power/performance i can't complain on any of them.its just a cese of personal taste,budget.
mintex are cheaper than the other two and perform well,produce more dust thou..
brembos,ferodos are quite equal if chosen within the same specs.
regard the discs I'll go for MTEC ones.
since you have the same engine (BGB) here's a direct link to em

Brake Discs and Pads for A4 2.0T FSi (200bhp)(BGB Engine)02/05-12/07

Reactions: Molnboman
You'll also find the S4 mounting points on the hub are further out which allows for the 345mm disc. This is the position i'm in, geniune S4 345mm discs, carriers and callipers yet when mounted up will only allow the 321mm disc to be fitted. Nice one audi.

You'll also find the S4 mounting points on the hub are further out which allows for the 345mm disc. This is the position i'm in, geniune S4 345mm discs, carriers and callipers yet when mounted up will only allow the 321mm disc to be fitted. Nice one audi.

Steve, so am I reading you right that you have the larger carrier, and they still don't fit? Have you got the right carrier Matey. In theory I understood that they should fit. What's all this then?!!!

Cheers
A

I've been assured by the seller they were s4 and shown the car they were removed from - reputable seller on eBay too. I need to 100% confirm with audi to make sure they are the right carriers, but they are pretty big and I don't think I'd want to go bigger due to material stresses.

I've been assured by the seller they were s4 and shown the car they were removed from - reputable seller on eBay too. I need to 100% confirm with audi to make sure they are the right carriers, but they are pretty big and I don't think I'd want to go bigger due to material stresses.

Steve, Is there a code on the carriers? I might be able to verify what chassis they are for, for you over the next couple of days.

Cheers
A