Front Plate Removal

JMerrie

Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can get one of these grills:

7347940816 67ee3051ab z

I want to lose the front plate!!

I am not sure, just looking to get rid of the plate and holder from the front!!

Where are you going to legally put the front plate ?

Does it matter?
Its his car and his license.
It none of our concern what he does with it.

I did spend 3 years with no front plate and no issues from the coppers.
They've even asked me how I did and where I got the parts from.

Well to be fair the car is going to run with no plate when at shows, but I am in the process of building a removable bracket that fits next to the fog light.

Was going at attach it to the tow hitch but that is not on the legal side of the car!!

Does anyone know where i can get one of these grills:

View attachment 5826

I want to lose the front plate!!
They cant be bought. Ash made that grill using an A3 front grill surround and the mesh from an RS6 grill.

Im hoping to do something similar but its not a cheap job.

I ran no plate for a while but it brought me nothing but bother. All depends on what the local coppers are like really

I wonder if he fancies making another one?? Lol!! :D

OMG, £450 for the RS6 grill alone ... Humm this is going to be expensive!!

What would you suggest to secure the cut out grill inplace once fitted into the S3 surround??

OMG, £450 for the RS6 grill alone ... Humm this is going to be expensive!!

What would you suggest to secure the cut out grill inplace once fitted into the S3 surround??
Yep its a dear job

I spoke with my painter/bodywork man about making one today. Basically there are two options, you can either plastic weld the mesh to the inside face of the grill surround
or
create a groove in the back of the surround, cut the mesh to size and then glue it in place. (This will probably look better as the mesh will sit deeper in to the grill)

Well I don't care about the cost or the time ... This has to be done ... I looks to damn nice!!

Does it matter?
Its his car and his license.
It none of our concern what he does with it.

I did spend 3 years with no front plate and no issues from the coppers.
They've even asked me how I did and where I got the parts from.

Scott - I was interested in how he was going to do it. He posted on the forum so we are entitled to ask the question. It seems from your post that you thought I was questioning whether or not he was going to do it legally. I wasn't, I might be interested in doing it myself if it looks ok and I would only do it if it was legal.

I know it's his car and his license and I know he is entitled to do what he likes with it legal or not but you could do with thinking through your answers a bit more before you post them !

As far as spending 3 years without a front plate is concerned I wonder what would happen in roadworks with average speed cameras which only use the front plate ? I wonder if you would get to the end before being stopped !

Scott - I was interested in how he was going to do it. He posted on the forum so we are entitled to ask the question. It seems from your post that you thought I was questioning whether or not he was going to do it legally. I wasn't, I might be interested in doing it myself if it looks ok and I would only do it if it was legal.

I know it's his car and his license and I know he is entitled to do what he likes with it legal or not but you could do with thinking through your answers a bit more before you post them !

As far as spending 3 years without a front plate is concerned I wonder what would happen in roadworks with average speed cameras which only use the front plate ? I wonder if you would get to the end before being stopped !

That what I did read it as.
Sorry if I got it wrong or if it came across aggressive (reading it back now, it does read a bit like it. opps. :))

Its just that I've noticed more people seem to be concerned with preaching what we can and can't do regarding the law over answering the questions people have asked.
I understand now that's not what you was doing, so I'll get my coat. :thumbsup:

I never had any issues with cameras.
One speed camera vans took my picture, then wrote down my rear plate but nothing ever happened. I got the picture somewhere.
Might be a change in the times that coppers are cracking down a bit more on plates than they use to or they are profile people more now?
I don't know but OP is right, it does look very nice.

That what I did read it as.
Sorry if I got it wrong or if it came across aggressive (reading it back now, it does read a bit like it. opps. :))

Its just that I've noticed more people seem to be concerned with preaching what we can and can't do regarding the law over answering the questions people have asked.
I understand now that's not what you was doing, so I'll get my coat. :thumbsup:

I never had any issues with cameras.
One speed camera vans took my picture, then wrote down my rear plate but nothing ever happened. I got the picture somewhere.
Might be a change in the times that coppers are cracking down a bit more on plates than they use to or they are profile people more now?
I don't know but OP is right, it does look very nice.

Ok mate - all forgiven :beerchug:

Look what I found

4969_102595356570_5228786_n.jpg

Ok back on topic.

Don't the yanks run with out a front plate?
I thought I seen some images of them with no front plates and no number plater holder.
Or is that a different set up?

In certain states yes, they are not required to have front plates, lucky swines! I've been plateless (in the window) around 3 months now and so far, so good :laugh:

You'll find the aggro will come with the ANPR quote from the police perhaps? Anyhow, good luck! It does look awesome with no front plate

In working out the cost you should take in to account the £60 fines which will start dropping through your letter box and if it's a personal plate, the DVLA may well decide to take it away. Accept the fact - cars in the UK and the rest of Europe are required to have front number plates.