front or back or is it really the question?

mathew lisett

Reaction score
Ok so next year.... very likely later next year ill hopefully be upgrading to a big brake kit. With this being said and the prices, im wondering if i went for just the front or back for the kit which would benefit from it the most from a 2wd.

im going to guess the front due to it being 2wd....

FRONT FRONT FRONT!! Notice how cars have larger discs on the front from the factory...thats because the fronts do more of the work, approximately 70% of the braking force is applied through the front brakes.

ALWAYS upgrade the fronts before the rears.

It doesn't matter if its FWD, RWD, 4WD or even No Wheel Drive, the fronts always to more work. As you brake the weight is shifted forward, this then compresses the front tyres into the road and gives more grip which means you can brake even harder and slow down even quicker. The rears can't do that, if you simply tried to stop using only rear brakes you would just skid and not slow down very fast at all.

Reactions: DieselJake
As above front is most important but I'd try to get them matched up similar to what the OEM car has front and rear for example I bought 2.0T front and rear brakes as a relatively cheap upgrade for my diesel and to make sure the front or rear wouldn't be overpowering the other.

Buy me a set :happy: looks nice but not quite sure I'd pay that, I'd be interested in the weight of the discs and calipers too.

If you need it to sit under 18's why not get S4 front and rear for half the price.

Just out of interest what engine do you have and what power is it pushing/do you want it to be at.

Buy me a set :happy: looks nice but not quite sure I'd pay that, I'd be interested in the weight of the discs and calipers too.

If you need it to sit under 18's why not get S4 front and rear for half the price.

Just out of interest what engine do you have and what power is it pushing/do you want it to be at.
seems to be a decent price considering what big brake kits go for.

s4 idea is what i initially thought of but i read i think here and audizone or something that the s4 brakes are basically the same as the a4, which i didnt want.

engine size is the 2.0 tfsi special edition. it will be hopefully running around 280bhp by early next year, but will be doing about 260 in a few months. in the end im aiming for about 300-350

Just need carriers and discs to fit S4 front in that case; probably about £200, fair enough if you want to go big and pay big money though.

Just need carriers and discs to fit S4 front in that case; probably about £200, fair enough if you want to go big and pay big money though.
so the s4 that you mention will that cope with the 300-350 bhp range?

if so can you give me a link to a kit or the seperate parts that i should look for,

edit:

in short im after stopping power without having to spend big bucks

Last edited: