Front Left Turn Signal Error - Any ideas please!

DaveyB

No misfires.
Reaction score
This is really getting my goat now - keep getting an intermittent warning on the DIS about the front left turn signal. The warning doesnt stay on long though, when I shift the indicator stalk to indicate left, I get the rapid flashing for a few secs as if something IS actually blown then it sorts itself out and no errors, normal blinking etc.

I have brand new Silvertec bulbs in ( same thing happened with standard orange before I replaced ).

I also swapped the indicator bulb holders round so put the left in right thinking that if it was the bulb holder at fault, the error would flash up on the right hand side, NO such luck, still on the left.

Is there a fuse at fault maybe? OR;

What about the side repeater on the n/s wing? does that bring up errors if faulty?

All bulbs and hazards function fine except this intermittent few seconds every so often.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
I get this exact same problem (on the right front) My S3 has standard indicator bulbs and it's been into Audi 3 times under warranty but still not sorted.

Check the connections on all 3 areas for corrosion, so headlights, wings/mirrors & the rear lenses, also the wiring supplying them.

Check the connections on all 3 areas for corrosion, so headlights, wings/mirrors & the rear lenses, also the wiring supplying them.

Cheers Nigel - I will take a closer look especially at the rears when I fit the MY11's. I have had a good look already and everything seems in clean good working order. I haven't popped the wing indicator out yet as I wasnt sure if this is linked to the same error on the DIS or whether it kicks up a different one if at all?!?! Plus I heard they break very easily!

I have the same problem, it started after I fitted LED sidelights so assumed it was down to these. It only happens every couple of weeks but as soon as I idicate left it rapidly indicates a few times then back to normal and the error clears.
I was going to change the bulbs back to test but it was such a pig to get them in, in the first place.

gdbarratt could well be on to something here, I also have LED sidelights. The last couple of times the error has occurred it has been dark/low light outside causing the auto lights to kick in.

Dont suppose you have LED sidelights installed S3skyman??

No mine is completely standard. If I turn the ignition off then back on it clears the fault.

I have had a good look already and everything seems in clean good working order. I haven't popped the wing indicator out yet as I wasnt sure if this is linked to the same error on the DIS or whether it kicks up a different one if at all?!?! Plus I heard they break very easily!

I havnt had one break yet tbh mate, but these would be my 1st port to check given its momentarily showing an error, seen that before shorting causing a quick dis error, then once its got some current into it, seems ok, maybe even the cold weather, scratch the contacts a little to see if it conducts any better.

I havnt had one break yet tbh mate, but these would be my 1st port to check given its momentarily showing an error, seen that before shorting causing a quick dis error, then once its got some current into it, seems ok, maybe even the cold weather, scratch the contacts a little to see if it conducts any better.

Nice one, cheers. I will give this a go later on, should they just prise out with your fingers or is some kind of 'implement' needed?

Put your fingernails into the front of the repeater housing and gently pull first backwards and then outwards and the housing pops out.

I have the same problem sometimes with my right hand indicator and when I scan the car with VCDS the freeze frame always shows a low battery voltage ( 10v or less). As soon as the engine is running to boost the battery it stops happening as it does if you let it click fast a few times.

Mainly happens on cold mornings and I know it's the battery that's goosed !!

Guys, I had the exact same problem, and figured out what the problem was. I had led sidelights installed, got no errors or nothing for about a good few months, then the exact problem as everyone else started. Did not have a clue what it was. Clear all faults with vcds so it was not a permanent fault, but happened every few days on start up only! Decided enough was enough! The only thing I could think of was the led sidelights.
I decided to take them out and noticed that the resistors on them were burning out! But my original 501 bulbs back in and have not had the problem ever since, nearly a month now!
Seems that my LEDs had cheap resistors, therefor burning easy and causing faults only on start up. They were only about a fiver, but I guess you get what you pay for.
I would advise everyone with this problem to change back to your original sidelights just to test.
If the problem goes then as me, you have dodgy LEDs with cheap resistors!

Hope this is of help lads.

Danny, I'm sure we both have the same LED 501s and i dont get this problem at all, then again i dont have auto lights.

Mikey, no mate, remember, I ended up changing my led sidelights for different ones. Have not tried my other LEDs to see if the problem would happen again, don't think it will as my old ones were on for a while and no probs. Was definatley the newer LEDs I installed as you can clearly see the resistors have burnt out.

Took my LED sidelights out at the weekend and put original 501's back in the signal error has gone away. Their was no evidence of damage on the resistors and they were meant to be Canbus error free but hey it looks like the problems solved. I have reused them in the footwell lights to complete my interior LED lighting.
Now order some blue tinted 501's as I can't stand the yellow light.

I got my LED sidelights from andi on here, I have the same intermittent problem.

Guys as I stated before, it is probably down to your led sides, as was the problem with mine. Although there may be no visual sign of resistor problems on your led, all it takes is a small break or wear, which then bypasses your resistors and sends a fault to your DIS. As some of you found out what the problem was by me suggesting you change your lights back, this proves it is your side led's.
Although some led's no error ones never have a problem, unfortunately quite a few do, and I guess we have been some of the unlucky ones to get dodgy side led's.

The error on mine is so intermittent it hasn't happened in a week or so. Tempted to try these out though just to be rid of the LED's:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Anybody installed these & are they the correct bulb?

They are the correct bulbs but won't shine as white as you think and nowhere near as white as led's.

They are a lot of money as you can get the same bulbs off ebay, albeit not PIAA, for less than a fiver if I remember correctly ! Some gave them away if you bought high power halogen headlights.

Have a trawl round ebay before you pay out that much !

I have LED sidelights provided to me by T8ups and so far not had an issue with them... its been 2 months since fitted and the only thing i have noticed is that it flickers a couple times when i start the engine as its doing the light check.

might just be the LEDs you guys are using?