Front end Clunk and Banging [ Pictures & Video]

Asahi

Reaction score
Recently changed my front Discs and pads. Shortly after I am getting strange noises from the front. I don't think it's related, just coincidental but thought I'd mention it.

Jacked car up, right wheel had lateral play, knocked when turning, track rod end quite obvious so I replaced it, sorted so I thought.......

AJfm79Tl.jpg

f1XWSq8l.jpg

That was sorted however there is still clunking. I lifted the car again checking over suspension with hands and a lever. I replaced both drop links next as the MOT did advise drivers side was perished but no movement (in December), Drivers side was shot now.

O0njAm2l.jpg

4ARm7Csl.jpg

I had another look around the suspension. Everything honestly feels solid with no play from the wheels especially in the 9-3 or 12-6 movements. However the sound is still there. When I'm driving and stick my ear out window the clanking metal noise honestly sounds very unhealthy. One thing I noticed was this strange fresh metal wear on the knuckle and one of the suspension arms. I assume they are grinding but god knows how. I'm tempted to try mount my gopro and record the suspension while driving.

YzcIxjdl.jpg

Here's an attempt of the noise being recorded:

https://vimeo.com/450762858

Generally it's the top arms that make that noise. Did you check inner track rod ends well?
Some B6's suffer from the steering rack being loose.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Asahi
Forgot to say, some brake pads can be noisy but more so from hitting a pothole or road imperfection.

Generally it's the top arms that make that noise. Did you check inner track rod ends well?
Some B6's suffer from the steering rack being loose.

Ah okay, the top arms seemed fine, maybe one of them had the very slightest play in the balljoint but nothing I'd consider to make a problem. I have thought about the steering having play. I might try record it unless there's a test I can do but when it's jacked up and I move the wheels laterally for play the steering does move a bit. I can't recall if it makes a noise or feels loose but I've compared it to another car at the house doing the same thing and when moving the wheel which then moves the rack, it feels more stiff and connected if that makes any sense. I'll have another checker later today when home.

Yes I checked the inner tie rods while I was there and solid no problems.

"Forgot to say, some brake pads can be noisy but more so from hitting a pothole or road imperfection."
It does seem all a bit coincidental that its occurred around the time I've done the brakes. I used decent ATE Discs and Bosch Pads, used brake lube properly and torqued everything to spec so seems unusual.

If the noise is a harmless noise I can deal with it as at this point I just want the car to work, I'm not fussed over it being perfect. I'm just concerned that driving it is damaging the car more especially with that knuckle / arm wear, or could lead to other parts breaking.

Last edited:
Just a little update that may help with troubleshooting. Here's some videos, my thoughts are they could be related or totally seperate.

PAS Side 9-3 moving the wheel which seems to move steering in some way.
This next video, I had my assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth maybe 20-25 degrees guessing whilst I filmed the drivers side.

The last video I believe is the cause of the knuckle and suspension arm wear. ignore the undone bolt as I was trying to remove the arm previously. This happens when the wheel is fully locked either way and is then moved back and forth slightly. You can see and hear where they are hitting. the suspension is unloaded so its slighty off where it usually makes contact.

I checked the steering rack bolts and seems fine, I soon realised majority of the steering thud in the test was due to steering lock. Still knocking when driving but I'm stumped for now.

The problem is with your two bottom wishbones touching. My a4 is gone now so i cant check, have they ever been removed? Is there any chance there on upside down, I cant see how they are managing to meet up. Your bushes all look shot as well, but i dont think that would be causing this.

Do you have a better pic of the whole hub assembly

Edit: I was thinking this is with the font wheel hanging down/unloaded. When you jack it up to the position it would be on the road, those two lower arms wont meet? I would say its your bushes that are the problem.

With the steering wheel locked do you get any noise or movement then? Could also be the wheel bearing.

Last edited:
The problem is with your two bottom wishbones touching. My a4 is gone now so i cant check, have they ever been removed? Is there any chance there on upside down, I cant see how they are managing to meet up. Your bushes all look shot as well, but i dont think that would be causing this.

Do you have a better pic of the whole hub assembly

Edit: I was thinking this is with the font wheel hanging down/unloaded. When you jack it up to the position it would be on the road, those two lower arms wont meet? I would say its your bushes that are the problem.

With the steering wheel locked do you get any noise or movement then? Could also be the wheel bearing.
Yeah In the last video I'm just moving my steering wheel back and fourth in the locked position and it's making the knuckle contact the wishbone and make that metallic banging noise which I assume is the wear. I found out it's the same on the other side I believe.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

It could also be the steering rack. There should be no play in that at all