1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Front brakes

Abi Jan 3, 2020

1. Abi

Abi Active Member

I have a n/s/f brake binding ever so slightly, you can see the extra brake dust on the n/s wheel. Going to clean and grease the calliper and slider bolts but can’t remember what tool is req for the slider bolts? I borrowed one previously when I fitted new pads, time to buy one. What size are they? Are they 7mm? [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Yep 7mm hex key. Wire wool off the black carbon stuck to the 2cm section close to the thread.

4. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

In my experience , sticky brakes like that are due to sticking/rusted pistons in the callipers , rather than rusty sliders.
    You might as well try cleaning the sliders first as all it will cost is bit of elbow grease..
    If I were you though I’d be prepared to buy a replacement caliper before too long.....,
    You’re lucky , the first I knew of a sticking calliper on my NSF was a strong smell of friction material .
    It ****** a set of fairly new pads.
    And yes it’s a 7mm hex head bit /allen key to undo the calliper sliding pins .

Abi likes this.
  5. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

I don’t know why the word c o o k e d got censored, LOL

6. Abi

Abi Active Member

Thought it was 7mm. I’m prepared to buy a new calliper if needed as I have smelt the pads getting hot from time to time, will clean and grease the slider bolts first.
    Thank you

7. prt57

prt57 Well-Known Member

Aswell as the slider bolts give the calliper and pads a really good clean out at the top and the bottom and then carefully lubricate with some copper grease before reassembly.
    You may find the pads have worn down lots more than the other side and so a new set both sides may be appropriate. If one calliper is sticking it is probably only a matter of time before the other one joins in.

8. John Lang

John Lang Member

I've had some decent success rebuilding callipers using repair kits (including pistons) from BigRed - google them. As above, best do both sides while you're at it.
    They are very quick to post out:
    http://www.biggred.co.uk

9. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member Team Silver

I would remove the pads and callipers then the piston dust covers. If their are any signs of water or rust on the piston lips it’s time for new callipers unless your ok just changing the pistons.
    Parts from Big Red as above.

10. Abi

Abi Active Member

Calliper overall isn’t a problem for me, did both my front motorcycle callipers and the pistons were apparently the size of a 10p in diameter and there was 8 to do.

11. paddy

paddy Well-Known Member Team Ibis Audi S3 Black Edition DSG

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Abi

Abi Active Member

Just an update folks::
    Thoroughly cleaned and greased both my front brakes a few weeks ago and have since driven around 600 miles with no more problem’s,
    so before thinking the worst, do the basics first then take things from there!

Daveyonthemove and paddy like this.