Front brake pads for 1.9 tdi

MooLard

Reaction score
Morning all, my front pads are low and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for slightly above oem replacements? It's a 1.9 tdi quattro, Pagid seems popular and good value, anything else to consider?
Many thanks

Avoid Pagids standard range, i've heard lots of folk report they seem great for about 6 months, then seem to "go off" and go all wooden and horrible. Oddly enough, i've had Mintex pads do the same as has a mate of mine, and Pagid and Mintex are both part of the same group.

My current preferred pad are Ferodo Premiers. They're a little dearer than the standard motorfactors pads (say £40 rather than £30) but they seem to work well. Ferodo are also the Audi OEM supplier for pads which is a decent endorsement for me.

Just fitted brembo front pads and the difference from the budget pagid ones I had on prior is remarkable!

Reactions: spartacus 68
I've got brembo pads all round on mine and find them a lot better than the pagids and Audi ones I had on before. Have heard good things about the ferodo pads also.

Hello! Thanks for the feedback so far, so varied thoughts on Pagid, I heard they were OE by Audi too, and when looking for reviews on Ferodo Premiers they have mixed reviews too!
At this moment in time I am likely to go with Pagid pads, fully bleed the whole system too while I am at it. I don't race the car so it should do me ok. Thanks again

Fluid change and bleed can make a big difference if it hasn't been done in some time. The pagids are not bad pads for the money.

The first issue is that "Pagid" from Audi is not the same as "Pagid" from your local motorfactor.

Pagid are the OEMs for many companies including porsche, and i wouldnt have an issue using porsche branded pads made by Pagid. The OEM has specific quality standards for the material so it performs how they'd want it.

As for pagids being OEM fit, they may well be, however the calipers i've dealt with recently have had Audi/Ferodo pads in them. It may be that they're sourced from multiple vendors, or that specific models pads come from one of a number of vendors available.

However the pads you buy from a motorfactor are not necessarily made with the same materials as the same brand pad with an Audi logo on it.

I was seriously unimpressed with the Mintex pads i used. I'd done about 30k on them, and they were barely worn. This might sound great, but infact it was indicative of the fact that they were rock hard and didnt really work very well. Pedal was wooden with no bite and I ended up throwing them away and installing the Ferodos which transformed the car.

I've also never seen a bad word said about the Ferodos, so be interested to see what you've found about them?

Didn't appreciate that buying pagid pads from say ECP would be inferior to the pagid pads originally fitted by Audi!

Surely it also depends on what discs are fitted if you're only changing the pads?

Fitted Brembo pads and discs on a B5 quattro and can't fault them. Haven't used Pagid parts before, but when I spoke to the supplier I use and he said Pagid have changed owners. Apparently the company were bought over a few years ago and their products (via motor factors) aren't what they used to be. I've used Bosch before, fine for what they were and ATE, but didn't rate them.

If discs are scored or have a lip, I'd change discs too. Change and bleed brake fluid for best results, grease slider pins, etc.

I'm in need of some new front pads too.
Was just about to post.
I've had an odd metallic knocking noise when braking for a while, took it to a garage yesterday and they've said it looks like there is cheap pads on, which are moving a bit during braking. And they don't have the sticky coating on the outside.

Got a price from Audi and they're just over £70, they will knock off 10%, but none in stock.

Just been on ecp, they have pagid for £30, textar £31
I've got pagid on my golf and they've been fine, so will probably stick with them, although the web image doesn't show the sticky bit?
I've not heard of textar? Anyone rate them? They show the sticky bit in the picture.
Both brands area in stock, as I want to do them in the morning, to see if it cures the knock!!

Last edited:
I've always fitted Pagid pads and discs to various vehicles (my own and for others) and never known any to have any issues at all. I always use Pagid from ECP. Even got a reconditioned genuine VW/Audi caliper by Pagid from ECP for my old mk3 Golf Tdi.

That's the route i'd choose over and over. Obviously some people may have had some issues.

Dan

Cheers all for the various feedback, I'll get shopping in the week!