Front brake grinding noise

Crash2010

Reaction score
Replaced the front pads and disc last month along with front driver side caliper(was stuck and wouldnt wind back)

recently when driving low speeds and coming to a stop there is a slight grinding like noise. Also if im driving at 40 and come to a stop the sound appears from 5mph to 0mph. I’ve inspected the discs but no scoring or anything visible on either side. Outer pads look clean as well no debris or anything.

Anything particular i need to look for when i get round to inspecting this weekend?

any help is very much appreciated. My car is A3 8v 1.8 tfsi with 312mm front discs

It may be the following:- If you have the same 312mm disc/caliper set-up as me (on your 8V) they will be the ATE type with a combined caliper retaining/slider bolt. These bolts collect hardened, carbonized brake dust in the section of about 15mm from the thread. This needs to be removed with something like wire wool (which I find best) and then lightly lubricated. This "carbon" causes sticking and slight binding after braking.

Yes mine is 312mm disc but unsure of the type but my caliper brand is TRW if that helps.

Attached an image of my caliper. Do you know how this rubber thing comes off after taking the bolt off at one end?

thanks fro your response

Attachments

• FB965946-DEB8-44ED-B5CC-B682AEE4CD31.jpeg
    FB965946-DEB8-44ED-B5CC-B682AEE4CD31.jpeg
    855 KB · Views: 228
Replaced the front pads and disc last month along with front driver side caliper(was stuck and wouldnt wind back)

recently when driving low speeds and coming to a stop there is a slight grinding like noise. Also if im driving at 40 and come to a stop the sound appears from 5mph to 0mph. I’ve inspected the discs but no scoring or anything visible on either side. Outer pads look clean as well no debris or anything.

Anything particular i need to look for when i get round to inspecting this weekend?

any help is very much appreciated. My car is A3 8v 1.8 tfsi with 312mm front discs

I had the same grinding issues and it turn out the rear oem pad on the right wheel crack, had to replaced with new pads and grind/machined the rear rotors as it got warp. My front disc rotors are 312mm as well but using EBC red stuffpads which is far more better than oem pads.

I had the same grinding issues and it turn out the rear oem pad on the right wheel crack, had to replaced with new pads and grind/machined the rear rotors as it got warp. My front disc rotors are 312mm as well but using EBC red stuffpads which is far more better than oem pads.

Ahh i see, but my outer disc/pads are all well clean and silky smooth, cannot say the same for inner disc though so i will try to take the wheels off and have a look on the rear as well.
Thanks for your response.

Reactions: Salik Sajid
Finally got round to removing the front wheels and the calipers and there doesnt seem to be any rust or debris in the pads as i wouldve hoped there would be. Its all smooth as it gets.

@Retroman cleaned the sliderbolts and the problem is still there.

disappointed this is happening with bosch pads as well. Not sure if pads need beddinng in as only done 5-600 miles so far and done plenty of hard stops from 50-0.

what else could it be? Tried recording but sound was so minimal it couldnt be caught on camera.
Any help is very much appreciated

Did you ever find the problem mate? I've got the exact same, had all the brakes done and checked countless times and ist still there!