Front brake disc weight and performance

spc30

Reaction score
I have just fitted new face lift front discs to my PFL RS3 (not OE but the same look and spec). They were noticably heavier, I could barely lift both discs together.
The origional wavey discs, well worn with 24k miles on them, weigh 10.5 kg each.
It feels like the extra weight has made a difference with the car, initial pick up is slightly less urgent and I'm sure the front end feels more crashy over bumps.
Has anyone experienced differences like this when swapping to different discs?
Performance wise they feel great, once bedded in. Might be placebo effect but I'm sure I can feel the extra weight on the front.

I’m interested in doing the same as my pfl car with wavy discs is causing vibrations. Could you not have gone with Audi parts from the fl? What make did you go with in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Kinetix discs. No problems with them really. They look OE, well made and the performance is good, no noise, feels OE and they are handed left and right so the both discs vent in the same direction. I'm a builder so I'm used to heavy stuff, cement bags etc and I struggled to lift both discs. Unfortunatley I didn't weigh them but I'd say got to be 15odd kg each.
20210712 162738

Since buying the discs I've gone down a rabbit hole of research. The genuine Audi FL discs weigh around 13.5k each.
Zimmermann sell a direct but non wavey replacement to the wavey discs at 12.4kg.
Then there's plenty of 2 piece discs, Reyland, Revo, DBA. I found 034 motorsport 2 piece disc at 1200 Euro's/pair.
I wonder what Audi would fit if I took the car to them. FL or do they sell PFL discs, non wavey.
(sorry didn't take a pic out of the packaging, just wanted to get them fitted!)

New set of Reylands arrived today.
9.9 kg

4ca0de60da489286181062d4a6f0d659.jpg

Reactions: Cheggers
New set of Reylands arrived today.
9.9 kg

4ca0de60da489286181062d4a6f0d659.jpg

Would you mind sharing where you bought them and approximate price?

Would you mind sharing where you bought them and approximate price?

Reyland.

They are on holiday from Monday I believe though so no more orders being processed for 2 weeks.

Perhaps o/t but I bought APR brakes for mine and the discs were noticeably lighter then OE.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Csllover and 8YARWY
New set due to a worn out pair or because of issues?

The DS2500 started to lose their bite now they are worn down.
Going for a different pad this time all round so decided to start with a brand new disc.

I’m going to get the used discs skimmed by Reyland and keep as spares.

Going for a different pad this time all round so decided to start with a brand new disc.

I know the original pfl discs could become warped and vibrate under braking but do you think they could cause general (small vibrations) at higher speeds too? Can’t wait to get mine changed.

What you thinking of?

Pagid Rs29 yellow?
Tarox Corsa?

Reyland.

They are on holiday from Monday I believe though so no more orders being processed for 2 weeks.

No issues here,absolutely spot on love em :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:
20D8ADD5 DB33 43A5 86F4 ADF4F48A7CF6

Reactions: Csllover and 8YARWY
No issues here,absolutely spot on love em :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:View attachment 240197

To be fair the Reyland and DS2500 have been 100% since I fitted them in early 2019.

It’s only recently I’ve noticed a drop off in the Pads.
I’d still recommend the DS2500 or the DS performance / Reyland combo, people that seem to have an issue with this combo I personally think are bedding in way too aggressively.

Once I’ve fitted the new pads / discs I’ll post my thoughts on here.

Reactions: Csllover
I’ve gone with the DS performance,think your 100% right with Bedding in ,I’ve read loads about guys warming em up then standing on em from insane speeds … asked the guys who fitted em for me and they recommended the slow a gentle approach as this is what they use when they fit new Discs and pads on R8s plus ferodo do recommend the softer approach.

BEDDING OF FERODO HIGH PERFORMANCE PADS​

Home » Products » High Performance » Bedding of Ferodo High Performance Pads
A series of applications, building from light pressure (x 5 applications) to medium pressures (x5 applications) on a quiet road from slow (initially) to moderate speeds.
The applications should not be separated from each other by more than 30 seconds. There is no need for the vehicle to come to rest on each application.
Allow the brakes to cool (this will occur during normal driving anyway, but do not, for example, go straight into a steep hill descent as the first use of the brakes) and the pads will be bedded.

Reactions: 8YARWY
I changed my fronts some months ago and did som weight comparisons using bathroom weight scale:
My stock worn out discs were approx down to 31 mm and should be changed at roughly 32 mm - the weight of my worn discs were 12,9 kg each.
Bought Reyland 370 mm bolted discs from UK and I measured 10.9 each. Not sure if the 9,9 kg mentioned earlier in this tread were with the hat included and floating also I guess?
I contacted Tarox (bit more expensive than Reyland) and they told me the weight should be 10,8 kg.
Alcon/Revo 380 mm are also slightly below (I have seen 10,6 kg reported for a used disc).
Zimmermann 369 mm (hat is not aluminium) are cheaper but the weight is reported at 12,4 kg.

I found out that the Kinetix discs weigh 15.5kg each. 5kg heavier than my old wavey's and a couple kg's heavier than OE FL discs.
To be fair though, they do work well. Stopping power feels as it should, no different to stock. I used OE replacement pads and overall I'm satisfied with them. No noises, bedded in after 20 miles or so.
There is a sense of more weight over the front axle though. I don't push my car too hard, I only notice the weight hitting speed bumps or pot holes. My guess is that I'm probaly more sensitive to the weight because I fitted them. If I'd never even picked them up and had a mechanic fit them I probably wouldn't notice!

Reactions: Csllover